Nutro Natural Choice Canned

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just found out from Nutro that this line of food is being discontinued. So no more Chunky Chicken pate that my cat loves.

ghostly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The signature selects have been a big hit whenever I've tried them. My girl normally hates chicken but she loved the chicken and turkey one

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured something was changing when I saw a bunch of different foods from Nutro on Chewy. So frustrating. I figured they were going with those smaller plastic containers and didn't realize they were getting rid of some choices. Are you sure they are doing away with the Chunky Chicken pate?

This is the 3rd brand I buy in the last couple of months that has made changes. Sheba got rid of their cannes. Halo discontinued their Rabbit which my cats loved. Now Nutro. Frustrating!

ghostly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutro is on a little big of a rampage lately. They are changing everything all at once. And it looks to me like it's in the name of cost effectiveness. Where I am, they raised the price for the old fashioned, regular Nutro (dog and cat) and put out the LID diets and Wild Frontier all of which are much more expensive. Gets under my skin. Lol

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just found out from Nutro that this line of food is being discontinued. So no more Chunky Chicken pate that my cat loves.
Oh no! What else did they tell you, chandler49? (Like lokhismom lokhismom I also wonder about the fate of chunky chicken!) Is this a long phase-out? I couldn't find any information on their site but I've noticed that companies' sites are often the last to know about changes like these! Sometimes long, long after the fact...

Our cats have always loved Nutro Natural Choice so I keep it on hand as a treat and to feed if someone's who's being extra-picky. It's very decent food and not super-expensive. I'm with lokhismom about not liking the "Perfect Portion" option, particularly since the two foods I checked both have menadione, which I prefer not to feed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have new line of dry/wet available now at Petsmart. The wet is in the Perfect Portion things plus it contains carrageenan. Natural Choice cans including Chunky Chicken discontinue for this new line of food. Told it was marketing decision. Don't like Perfect Portions because it's less than 3oz plus the carrageenan which everyone seems to be putting in pate.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dude, that is awful! That was one of the best wet foods on the market and I have rotated it with all of my cats and had great success. UGH!

Is it all being discontinued?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it's always a "marketing decision," isn't it!? And those little Perfect Portion tray thingies seem like the definition of a marketing gimmick, so this all makes perfect (bad) sense.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nutro is both of my cats favorite brand so I will be pissed if they eliminate all of their healthy options! My cats love the minced chicken and the sliced turkey so i really hope those stick around

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro is both of my cats favorite brand so I will be pissed if they eliminate all of their healthy options! My cats love the minced chicken and the sliced turkey so i really hope those stick around
I know, those two are our cats' very favorites, too! One cat hoovers up the minced chicken so fast that she barfs so I have to feed it in small amounts. These are the perfect foods for when I really need to get them to eat right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it's always a "marketing decision," isn't it!? And those little Perfect Portion tray thingies seem like the definition of a marketing gimmick, so this all makes perfect (bad) sense.
Just got this response from Nutro. Good News.
"We have no plans to discontinue the entire Nutro Canned food line and are still making Adult Chunky Chicken Loaf. We did discontinue our Nutro Breakfast Scrambles and a few Nutro Turkey Recipes."

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got this response from Nutro. Good News.
"We have no plans to discontinue the entire Nutro Canned food line and are still making Adult Chunky Chicken Loaf. We did discontinue our Nutro Breakfast Scrambles and a few Nutro Turkey Recipes."
Oh, that is good news, thank you for the update! As it happens, I went to PetSmart yesterday for Nutro Natural Choice and saw the Wild Frontier display, which was certainly splashier than the dark shelves with NNC in boxes. (Why is PetSmart so dark, anyway?)

I'm glad they're keeping chunky chicken and hope they keep the minced chicken and sliced turkey, too! I remember that they were considering dumping the turkey a couple years ago but didn't.

:)

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info! I'm very happy to hear about the chunky chicken. Now hoping they don't make any changes to the ingredients.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if the kitten chicken pate is being discontinued? It’s the best wet kitten food out there in my opinion. :(

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the chunky chicken pate is still available. Someone here mentioned that they contacted Nutro and their response is that they were not discontinuing it. Chewy still has it available to buy as well.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yes, thanks. I guess the kitten soft pate will still be available too then? Sounds like they said it’s only the 2 above mentioned flavours being discontinued. Phew!

On a side note: I went to my local petvalu yesterday and asked if they carried kitten Nutro and the employee told me that they will not be carrying nutro anymore in the coming months because nutro is going into grocery stores and they no longer meet petvalu’s standards? I found that really strange... especially since she was standing next to a shelf of friskies as she was telling me that. :dunno: