Nutrition Frustration

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I fed him some pâté a few weeks ago for a treat, and you’re right- it did take him longer! He definitely still ate very fast this morning. Maybe we just got lucky! His name is Feeferson :)
Feeferson is a very handsome cat! Yes, pate's a little more labor-intensive for cats. I think adding a little bit of water can help slow things down, too. Another way to slow them down is to feed something they'll eat but don't love. (I guess that's tough love for cats, isn't it?!0

Anyway, here's to slow food for cats! :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would definitely increase the canned food if it were me. The moisture is good for them. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's our experiences (limited) that digestive problems of any sort respond best to a diet low(er) in fat. Not NO fat, not SUPER low fat, not so low that their coat gets crappy and they're tired all the time. Usually this is temporary but if the problem is chronic, finding a lower fat food that agrees with them is key.
In our haste to put weight on cat with digestive woes that lost a LOT of weight, we went high fat (duck and lamb) hoping to add girth and bulk...and it backfired. Their digestive system couldn't process it and it made it worse, but keeping proteins lean helped. Foods containing white meat turkey and/or fish from reputable sources might help keep the system from working so hard and give it time to get back to normal.
We had a similar experience with a dog later on, feeding this dog a lower fat diet helped put weight on over time.
Think of yourself with the flu or a stomach ache. Toast and tea probably sounds better than pancakes slathered with butter and syrup! =)