Nutered male\Calling Female

darcystaley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm new. I have a Male cat who is just a little over a year old. He has been nutered for a long time now. We took in a stray female who was nearly starved, and uncared for. It took us a few months over the summer to get them used to each other. Now the female is inside. She has gone onto heat. Can this cause behavioral problems with my male? Or will all be okay since he is nutered? Concerned. Thank you.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There won't be problems with your male cat in terms of sexual relations since he is neutered. However, there will be huge problems if outside male cats become aware that you have a female in heat in your house. If you have a backyard they will congregate there. This could be a problem with your male cat & conceivably can upset him.

Please have your female spayed ASAP. It is very injurious for females to constantly go in and out of heat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To some extent, that will depend on how old your male was when he was neutered.  Most people don't realize that neutering doesn't destroy the urge to mate in older animals with well-established mating habits, it only removes the concern of offspring, and lowers the chance of fighting over it.   They may mate, but nothing (barring a few blushes from household members) will come of it.

That said, your new girl needs to go in for spaying ASAP!  There is nothing in this world more persistent, more annoying, more determined or more sneaky than a queen in heat!  Nor more pathetically miserable!  Not only is the constant "let MEOWWWT, let MEOWWWWWWT!  NEOW!  NEOW!  NEOW!" enough to drive you mad, but repeated heat cycles are not good for her.  They actually increase her chances of developing certain cancers.

Good luck, be VERY WELCOME here at TCS!  We're so glad that you found us!