Nursing

mainecoonmama12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten keeps nursing on everything. Mainly me. When we found him at the shelter, we would hold him and he would nurse on us. He's done it less often, now that we've had him at home, but he still does it occasionally. This is on top of his normal kitten sprints through the apartment at full speed. Any tips?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten keeps nursing on everything. Mainly me. When we found him at the shelter, we would hold him and he would nurse on us. He's done it less often, now that we've had him at home, but he still does it occasionally. This is on top of his normal kitten sprints through the apartment at full speed. Any tips?
Our now 5 month old still tries on occasion. We were very firm and gentle. She looks for exposed skin so we keep a blanket handy.

We bottle raised Kitten and Mook and neither ever tried to nurse on us. I'm thinking that even in the best situation some foster babies just don't get the emotional support and nurturing they need. I redirect and rub her under her chin or ears so that she's getting those good feelings without entrenching the habit of trying to nurse on us.

The baby zoomies are part of their development as hunters. It is something anyone who raises a baby cat gets to go through and deal with. The equivalent of the terrible twos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mainecoonmama12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh gotcha! He nurses on our clothes and blankets. He also does it mostly to me, not my boyfriend, to my boyfriend, he play fights. I figured it was probably because he was separated from his mom too young and now looks at us as his parents. The intense energy mostly worries my boyfriend, not me.