Nursing nipple wound

Minette37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there community :)

Minette has a little wound on her nipple which I believe happened this morning. She is currently weaning 3 little ones, 5 weeks old, with sharp teeth in development. Her nipple was stuck to her tummy with a very small amount of dried blood. I managed to give her a warm compress and unglued and cleaned it. I was wondering if I should disinfect it with peroxide or polysporin (with disinfectant). Any advice would be great.

Thank you :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to think about this for a bit, and decided that it should simply be clean with warm water several times a day. What you DO NOT want is kittens ingesting anything that might hurt them, and they can be fragile at this age. Now, IF the nipple becomes swollen red, or inflamed, you're going to want to contact your vet, try to get her seen, and start bottle-feeding the kittens with KMR to supplement them as they wean. Luckily, at their age, they only need bottle feeding three times a day, and will do fine with an early morning feeding, a noon feeding, and a late night feeding. No getting up to feed in the middle of the night!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minette37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I think that is sound advice. I will continue to monitor her and hopefully she will be fine.... if not, off to the vet!

Love that quote by the way! :)