Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Nursing Mom Seems Skinny

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by Kimberly07, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Kimberly07

Kimberly07 Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 7, 2018
    Good Morning. Gracie is around 62 days pregnant and hasn't been able to clean her butt in a few days because of her belly. I started cleaning it for her and even though she meows loudly when I do it, she comes right back over to me when I'm done. I'm concerned when she goes into labor she won't be able to clean her butt as the first few babies come out. She had an ultrasound twelve days ago and we counted at least five, but I think there is more than that. Gracie 1.jpg gracie 2.jpg

white shadow and Sarthur2 purraised this.

2. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    She should be able to clean the newborns and chew the cord. By the time she is finished delivering, she will be able to lick her private parts again. If not, you can continue to help her out for a bit. Most cats do just fine!

ArchyCat purraised this.

3. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    Ok, thank you very much. Now we just wait. :):hyper::blush:

Sarthur2 purraised this.

4. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    She had 7 beautiful babies. All are doing well. Baby Pile up 2.jpg Baby Pile Up.jpg Gracie and Rocky loves.jpg

5. mazie

mazie TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    south Georgia
    Congratulations, they are darling, keep us updated on how they are doing.

6. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    Thank you, I will. Mama is doing an amazing job of keeping them fed and warm. My heart is full.

7. Sarthur2

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    How wonderful!

Watch for a runt with 7.

Pick up a can of PetAg powdered kitten formula and a 1 or 2mL syringe in case you need to supplement.

Give mom a dish of formula a day to drink as she needs the extra calcium.

Keep us posted!

Kimberly07 purraised this.

8. talkingpeanut

talkingpeanut TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 12, 2015
    Can you keep mom inside and away from intact males 100% of the time now? Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

ArchyCat purraised this.

9. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    Once she weans the babies, we are going to have her neutered. She was in heat in the house, and bolted one day when we were bringing in groceries and never looked back. We do have good homes for all the kittens and a waiting list.

ArchyCat and Sarthur2 purraised this.

10. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    The last one, the grey one was smaller than the rest and had trouble finding her teet, but on day three she has a full belly and is standing up to her siblings. I have a bottle and formula on hand because these are alot of mouths to feed for Gracie.

11. talkingpeanut

Oct 12, 2015
    Please weigh the kittens daily so you can make sure they’re all gaining.

You can go ahead and make the spay appointment for when the babies are 8-weeks-old. Babies need to stay with mom until they are at least 10-12 weeks, and it’s best if you can have them fixed before they go to their new homes. It’s just so easy for accidents to happen.

lutece and Kimberly07 purraised this.

12. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    Ok, I will check with our local vet and get pricing.

Sarthur2 purraised this.

13. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    Our humane society will neuter boys for $30 and girls for $50. This seems really reasonable to me. Does it seem reasonable to you?

14. talkingpeanut

Oct 12, 2015
    Yes, very!

15. Sarthur2

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    That’s a great price! :)

16. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    I weighed them last night at 3 days old. One was 132 grams, one was 142 grams and the rest were 165-167 grams. There are two that feed after the stronger five feed. Mom is currently eating about 5-6 cans of kitten food a day (the smaller cans) but she isn't drinking alot of water or the pedialyte I have out for her so I mixed a little water in her lunch time food for more moisture. Should I start supplementing the two smaller ones to help mama out? I don't want her to get worn out from the every half hour to hour feedings.

17. talkingpeanut

Oct 12, 2015
    How much are the smaller ones gaining per day?

18. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    I probably should have waited until I weighted them tonight to see if they gained any weight from last night before asking this question. Last night was the first night I weighed them. Sorry.

19. Sarthur2

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    It will only help if you top them off with formula 2-3 times per day. But if they are gaining well no need. Let us know their gains this evening!

20. Kimberly07

Jun 7, 2018
    They were weighed last night and they all gained 10-13 grams each in one day. I couldn't believe it. The biggest one weighing in at 180 gm and the smallest at 147, and one of the kitten's eyes opened last night at 4 days and the rest were opened this morning. I couldn't believe it.

mazie and Sarthur2 purraised this.