Nursing Mama With Fleas / Continued Questions

Irunwithscissors

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl Stormy just had kittens 4 days ago. (Yes, spaying is on the way soon!) But she has fleas and I've found some on the newborn kittens. I've bathed them carefully with a drop of Dawn and we dried them well with towels from the drier. No problems at all. We did the same to mama. Found another flea yesterday on the white kitten. Been combing... But now what? Can I order and apply Advantage 2 to Stormy?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fleas are a diabolical plague. I was told that it's okay when the mother cat is pregnant to apply Advantage but not sure when she's actually nursing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can put a tube of Advantage II on the back of mom’s neck while she is nursing.

Continue flea combing the kittens. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Irunwithscissors

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My grey tabby just had a litter of 5 kittens. Daddy is an orange tabby with a white belly. We have 2 orange babies, a grey tabby, a cream colored with silver looking ears and one pure white with pink ears and feet. How in the world did we get a white one?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe you have two little pointed ones. The Mom and Dad both must have been carriers of the pointed gene. It is recessive. It's a heat sensitive form of albinsim that basically makes the kittens be born white or cream and their color will develop with time (since Mom is warm and outside is not so much).

The cream one is likely going to be a lynx point. Since both mom and dad are tabby it would make the most sense. Think along the lines of Mom but all the coloring muted and blue eyes. The white one I would guess for flame or dilute flame point since the darkening on ears and nose haven't started. Basically orange muted with blue eyes. Both should start showing their coloring within the next two months. It will continue to develop throughout their lives.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As examples, from a quick image grab. Here is an adult lynx point,
stark1.jpg

And flame point

flame-point-siamese-cat-bonsaibutterfly2.jpg

Of course I could be wrong about the white one. But the silver on the cream is the points starting so that one is for sure pointed.

Irunwithscissors

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As examples, from a quick image grab. Here is an adult lynx point,
View attachment 244802

And flame point

View attachment 244803

Of course I could be wrong about the white one. But the silver on the cream is the points starting so that one is for sure pointed.
Those are gorgeous! I can't wait to see how these little things turn out soon! Next will be pics of their behinds so we might be able to tell genders! I've researched a lot but it's still kind of difficult to tell. Thank you SO much for the coloring advice!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are all of the kittens gaining well?

Would you like any help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic for mom and dad?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which city and state are you closest to?

Have you been keeping your male away from your female?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Number 1 is definitely a boy and 5 is definitely a girl. The rest are a little fuzzy, but I'd say 2 & 3 are boys and 4 is a girl.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What color is the mama cat?

Honestly, at first glance they all look like boys to me. I'll see if I can enlarge the pictures and get a better look.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's really hard to tell with young kittens, but I think they all look like boys.

Do you know who the daddy is? If he isn't a red cat, then genetically all of the red kittens have to be boys.

Irunwithscissors

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to tell with young kittens, but I think they all look like boys.

Do you know who the daddy is? If he isn't a red cat, then genetically all of the red kittens have to be boys.
Actually daddy is a red tabby