Nursing Kittens

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. The boyfriend and I are getting a new kitten, so we will be a 3 cat house. We asked if she would be ready to come home on Sunday, and the answer was a big unknown. I guess this litter is still nursing at 6 weeks old. It has been a long time since I've had a kitten, as my cats are 12 and 8 years old. Is it normal for kittens to nurse at 6-7 weeks old?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Most kittens are just starting to be weaned at 5-6 weeks. They may start eating solid food st that point but won't be completely weaned until they're 8-12 weeks old. Standard wisdom says kittens shouldn't be separated from their mother until at least 12 weeks. Even if they're wesned earlier they need the socialization/training mom gives them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please don't take the kittens before 10-12 weeks.

Will the mom cat's owner be spaying her cat after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most kittens are just starting to be weaned at 5-6 weeks. They may start eating solid food st that point but won't be completely weaned until they're 8-12 weeks old. Standard wisdom says kittens shouldn't be separated from their mother until at least 12 weeks. Even if they're wesned earlier they need the socialization/training mom gives them.
Oh, ok! Our two cats we have now we got when they were about a year or two old. I remember the kittens we have had in the past, we got from the shelter when they were between 7-8 weeks old, so I wasn't sure. We can wait another couple weeks.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, please don't take the kittens before 10-12 weeks.

Will the mom cat's owner be spaying her cat after this litter?
Here is the thing. This is the Momma cats second litter, and they plan to get her fixed through low income fixing, but there is a wait list, so it is possible she will have a third litter by the time she is fixed. However, they are keeping a female kitten from this litter, and kept a female from the first litter. So, I'm thinking there may be more litters yet. I know we will be getting our little girl fixed as soon as the vets say we can!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the thing. This is the Momma cats second litter, and they plan to get her fixed through low income fixing, but there is a wait list, so it is possible she will have a third litter by the time she is fixed. However, they are keeping a female kitten from this litter, and kept a female from the first litter. So, I'm thinking there may be more litters yet. I know we will be getting our little girl fixed as soon as the vets say we can!
Perhaps you could help to get their cats fixed when you take yours. They should keep them inside regardless. It's a horrible cycle.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps you could help to get their cats fixed when you take yours. They should keep them inside regardless. It's a horrible cycle.
We offered to cover the difference between the low income fixing and the regular price fixing, for all 3 of her cats. She declined. We can't force her.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any idea on what we should feed the kitten? Our two cats get Purina Cat Chow Urinary Blend. Before you criticize, we were feeding them Now Fresh Grain-Free when the male blocked. We have tried every urinary blend food the vet has sent our way with no luck...he literally freaks out and flips the food dish, throws up after eating, or his blood sugar spikes. The Cat Chow he eats, keeps down, and doesn't affect his blood sugar. They also get wet food every other day for 1 meal. The kitten, as previously mentioned, still nurses, but also eats Purina Kitten Chow, Whiskas wet food and Whiskas kitten milk replacer. I'm ok with the Kitten Chow because we have had oddly good luck with the Cat Chow Urinary, even though it isn't a great brand. But I don't like Whiskas. I don't want to buy 1 of every canned kitten food to find 1 she likes...any suggestions?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We offered to cover the difference between the low income fixing and the regular price fixing, for all 3 of her cats. She declined. We can't force her.
That's a very nice offer. Maybe you can keep in touch when you are taking your kitten and offer again.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a very nice offer. Maybe you can keep in touch when you are taking your kitten and offer again.
Considering the owner is family, we will definitely be keeping in touch!! Even if we could just get the Momma cat fixed, and convince her to keep the other 2 indoors, I think that would help!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering the owner is family, we will definitely be keeping in touch!! Even if we could just get the Momma cat fixed, and convince her to keep the other 2 indoors, I think that would help!
Definitely!!

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so we brought our little kitten Autumn home with us on Sunday, at 7 weeks. The owner called and said she was ready because she wasn't nursing anymore. We asked her if it would be better if she stayed a few weeks longer, but we were told if we didn't want her that day, she knew someone that did. Little Autumn is getting along great with our 2 existing cats, and settling in well, with one exception...she is attached to my hip! Any ideas on how to change or stop this? When she is sleeping, she insists on sleeping on me. When she is awake, whether eating, playing with our 2 cats or using the litter box, she needs to be able to at least see me. My boyfriend thinks it is cute and sweet, and that she will outgrow it, but I'm not so sure...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She apparently sees you as her Momma person. I too think its sweet. :)

Wet food is almost always good, on dry food see its labelled for kittens. OR high end products alike Orijen are really all stage.
goats milk is useful too as supplement.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten thinks you are its mom, who it dearly misses. You are the security blanket for now.

Try to enjoy the kitten for now. They grow up very quickly, and she will outgrow this. :catrub: