Nursing issue

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got this message from a friend, her cat had 4 kittens about 3 weeks ago now

"... another cat question... I was checking the kitties out again today and they were trying to nurse.. its only her bottom 4 nipples that get full of milk. Anyways.. they drained her in a matter of 1-2 min and started pushing each other out of the way.. Finally she got up and moved 2 feet and laid back down. the area around all nipples except the bottom 2 are DARK purple black. They are soooo bruised.. Its making me think she isnt able to give them enough? Is this normal?? It looks so painful."

Any thoughts or advice for her?

Edit: She just sent me photos

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is the age when they start to get teeth, and it's time to start offering them mushy canned food so the mama cat can begin to wean them. She's probably just suffering from baby teeth on tender parts
. If her teats start to look red or inflamed they should contact their vet in case she has an infection.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also that darker part I don't think is bruising, I think it is just the super light thin hair that kind of wears off during nursing.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also agree, kittens will usually start to nibble food at this age (You can give them KMR stage 2 mixed with some canned food).. My mama cat STILL nurses her 6 week old kittens, but not for very long each feeding. They just do it for fun I think lol