Nulo and tika cat

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should be fairly confident in both of these brands as being healthy for a cat correct? Reviews online seem solid for both but I just wanted to double check. It's either one better then the other?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pretty much, yes. I feed one of my cats Nulo freeze dried raw. They won't eat the canned Nulo. Neither cat will eat Tiki, but many, many people recommend it.

But are you asking about canned or dry food? Or raw? To me, it makes a difference

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two black panthers love Tiki Cat Born Carnivore dry food, and the Tiki Cat broths (but won’t eat any of their wet food..or any other company.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should've clarrified. I feed him nulo hard food (chicken and duck) and I'm trying to transition him from friskies to tiki cat after dark wet .

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he won't eat the tiki (even mixed in with the friskies at 10 percent to 90 percent friskies) I'm curious if he's just full. He seems to be eating the moisture parts and leaving behind some meat as he eats.

Should I try mixing in some tiki pate instead? I just want him moved to something more nutritious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I try mixing in some tiki pate instead? I just want him moved to something more nutritious.
My cat, Feeby, after being on dry food for a long, long time, will only eat pates. As far as I know, Tiki Cat After Dark only offers 4 flavors in pate - all of which Feeby will eat: Beef & beef liver, venison & beef liver, rabbit & chicken liver, and duck & chicken liver. There are Tiki Cat pates (not After Dark), but I am not familiar with them, as they are mostly fish-based and Feeby won't eat fish.

Not sure why you think Tiki Cat is any better than Fancy Feast, especially if you are looking for pates. Fancy Feast pates are pretty basic in terms of the primary ingredients and only contain one gum (guar).

Last edited:

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Feeby, after being on dry food for a long, long time, will only eat pates. As far as I know, Tiki Cat After Dark only offers 4 flavors in pate - all of which Feeby will eat: Beef & beef liver, venison & beef liver, rabbit & chicken liver, and duck & chicken liver. There are Tiki Cat pates (not After Dark), but I am not familiar with them, as they are mostly fish-based and Feeby won't eat fish.

Not sure why you think Tiki Cat is any better than Fancy Feast, especially if you are looking for pates. Fancy Feast pates are pretty basic in terms of the primary ingredients and only contain one gum (guar).
So would you suggest friskies pate instead? He's been eating the friskies shreds which I've read are far from excellent for him. I'd like to purchase the best canned wet food and products from oetsmart if possible as I am recovering from spinal surgery and it's close by.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So would you suggest friskies pate instead?
I really don't know much about Friskies's - pates or non-pates. I merely mentioned Fancy Feast - which is not Friskies - especially if he will eat pates, since they really aren't all that bad. Have you made a comparison of all the ingredients in each of these foods?

Meat by products aren't all that bad, but probably should not be the first ingredient listed in any food you pick.

You can always try different flavors in the Tiki, as he may like some better than others.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Friskies pates are better than shreds, less carbs. Fancy Feast Classics are even better though. Pates typically have less carbs then shreds, but if your guy is used to eating shreds, he may not like pate. Every cat is different. Unless he has a sensitive tummy, with wet food you don't need to transition slowly, so if you think he was full and that's why he didn't eat the 10% Tiki Cat, you might try just feeding him the Tiki and see if he'll eat it? Are you giving him the same (ish) flavor so it will seem "familiar"?

Do they sell Nulo and Tiki at your Petsmart? I was just there a few days ago and don't recall seeing either of those brands there As a matter of fact, I was extremely disappointed with what they had, but kept telling my self it was because of the supply issues everywhere :frown:

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:biggrin:
Friskies pates are better than shreds, less carbs. Fancy Feast Classics are even better though. Pates typically have less carbs then shreds, but if your guy is used to eating shreds, he may not like pate. Every cat is different. Unless he has a sensitive tummy, with wet food you don't need to transition slowly, so if you think he was full and that's why he didn't eat the 10% Tiki Cat, you might try just feeding him the Tiki and see if he'll eat it? Are you giving him the same (ish) flavor so it will seem "familiar"?

Do they sell Nulo and Tiki at your Petsmart? I was just there a few days ago and don't recall seeing either of those brands there As a matter of fact, I was extremely disappointed with what they had, but kept telling my self it was because of the supply issues everywhere :frown:
Yes we do sell nulo and tiki. I'm starting to see he doesn't like fish flavors. He seems to stick to chicken , duck, turkey and beef. I bought some tiki beef and liver pate that I may mix with his shreds. I think he likes the moisture of the shreds. I also bought tiki velvet mousse chicken with broth. I figured if he likes the tiki cats mousse treats he should like this. I also measured 1/2 cup of nulo to monitor how much dry food he is eating.

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this morning I woke up and fed him 1/2 tiki chicken mousse mixed in with his friskies. He ate a good portion of the mousse but left the shreds behind. I put out friskies after to see if he was still hungry and he barely touched it. I measured his dry food from last night and he probably ate about 4 tablespoons. He's not a big guy but he seems content, no whining for food.

Should I continue this approach? Slowly mix in more mousse until its all tiki mouse ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I continue this approach? Slowly mix in more mousse until its all tiki mouse ?
I don't see why not. I take it that the shreds he left behind were from the Friskies (Feeby used to eat the Tiki Mousse but there wasn't really any chunks/shreds of meat in them)? If so, then that would seem to be less of an issue as you increase the Tiki and decrease the Friskies. If he ends up being hesitant about eating mousse only, I don't see any harm in continuing to add a bit of Friskies as a permanent solution.

Btw, nice pic of Apollo!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't see why not. I take it that the shreds he left behind were from the Friskies (Feeby used to eat the Tiki Mousse but there wasn't really any chunks/shreds of meat in them)? If so, then that would seem to be less of an issue as you increase the Tiki and decrease the Friskies. If he ends up being hesitant about eating mousse only, I don't see any harm in continuing to add a bit of Friskies as a permanent solution.

Btw, nice pic of Apollo!!
Agreed. On both topics. I keep saying my next cat is going to be an orange :loveeyes: (and there's one up for adoption right now at the local shelter. a female to boot. Very rare) Too bad Darko is such a bad cat and seems to hate any other cat who comes into the house :frown: And vice versa.

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, the little guy is driving me nuts lol. Last night I mixed in the 1/3 tiki pate, heated it for 10 seconds along with friskies and he ate all of it. I put the rest of everything in the fridge for this morning. Today I woke up and he ate a tiny bit (same routine if heating it for 10 seconds) and licked up all the liquid.

He ate about 1/2 cup of dry nulo food (duck and chicken).

He's extremely energetic and been going to the bathroom regularly. He was weighed at the vet and is 6.6 lbs.

He seems to be eating enough, doesn't meow for more?

Any insight?

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For clarification, yesterday through out the day, he at 1 can friskies, about 1/4 cup dry food, 1/2 can tiki after dark pate.

I gave him a tiki wet stix at night as a treat.

He's been going to the bathroom normally, very playful, and seems content.

I'm just curious if he's eating enough calories for a 6.6 lb cat that's about 7 to 8 months old.

Today I once again measured out 1/2 cup or dry to monitor how much he eats throughout the day. He ate about 1/2 his breakfast (1/2 can friskies shreds, 1/3 3oz can after dark pate). I'll continue to monitor him.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you put out any more food, will he eat it? I guess that's how you will know if you're feeding enough. From what you describe, it doesn't really sound like enough for a growing kitten, but I have no idea how many calories in total he is consuming. Is he finishing all his kibble? He may not know that if he meows, he might get more food :dunno:

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you put out any more food, will he eat it? I guess that's how you will know if you're feeding enough. From what you describe, it doesn't really sound like enough for a growing kitten, but I have no idea how many calories in total he is consuming. Is he finishing all his kibble? He may not know that if he meows, he might get more food :dunno:
Just put some more out, mushed it up, and he still didn't eat anymore. He's still super active and playful. Never had a cat thats this picky

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just put some more out, mushed it up, and he still didn't eat anymore. He's still super active and playful. Never had a cat thats this picky
Well, maybe he really isn't picky, just not hungry. When my boys were kittens, the only way I could get Tinky to eat was to hand feed him. That still holds true today (twelve years later ) He's more interested in everything else rather than food :lol:

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe he really isn't picky, just not hungry. When my boys were kittens, the only way I could get Tinky to eat was to hand feed him. That still holds true today (twelve years later ) He's more interested in everything else rather than food :lol:
I'm buying a magic bullet. I'm gunna try blending it. I also clean his litter box daily and he's definitely doing 1 and 2 rather often. No Diarreah (spelling lol) etc.