Nuetered Cat Humping Other Male Nuetered Cat??

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just caught my 2 yr old male nuetered cat Loki, grabbing and humping my other 2 yr old male nuetered cat Apollo.. Apollo was just laying there like "OK?".. I thought nuetered cats weren't supposed to have the urge anymore? Maybe showing dominance? IDK, this is the 2ND time I've seen this behavior and it's always Loki doing the humping.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, that's a dominance thing, almost certainly...although neutered males certainly can be "interested." However, that would probably NOT manifest with another tom. Neutering takes away the aggression and willingness to fight to breed, and the ability to produce kittens, but NOT always the desire. Again, tom-on-tom is an indicator that this is almost certainly a dominance issue. So long as Apollo is OK with it, I wouldn't worry overly much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, was just curious.. thank u so much for the reply! I figured it was, hmm.. I thought almost Forsure that neutering took away the urge, I'm glad I know now, do u know if that will cause any problems when my female kitten gets older? She is now 12 weeks old, I'm going to get her spayed within a couple weeks, I just don't want my two boys chasing her around all the time, trying to "get" her

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Much of that activity is scent-driven, so spaying her before her first heat will lessen the chance that they will see her as a target. There might be some dominance posturing, but as they get the "pecking order" established, it will slow way, way down. MOST neutered males seem to go for inanimate objects as their "girlfriends" for some reason...fuzzy slippers, fleece blankets, that sort of thing. LOL, my neighbor's tom (neutered) is in love with her left fuzzy slipper. JUST the left one. At least he's faithful! And she is barefoot.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take some cats up to two years before their testosterone levels fall away after neutering. In a few cats their testosterone never fully goes away and so they exhibit residual tom behaviour, like spraying and sexual arousal. That your female kitten is 12 weeks old makes me think that her budding oestrogen levels might be having an effect on Loki. If this were the case, then hopefully he'll stop after she's spayed. That's just a very random theory, mind you.

:dance:

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Much of that activity is scent-driven, so spaying her before her first heat will lessen the chance that they will see her as a target. There might be some dominance posturing, but as they get the "pecking order" established, it will slow way, way down. MOST neutered males seem to go for inanimate objects as their "girlfriends" for some reason...fuzzy slippers, fleece blankets, that sort of thing. LOL, my neighbor's tom (neutered) is in love with her left fuzzy slipper. JUST the left one. At least he's faithful! And she is barefoot.
Yeah, as soon as I move, which will HOPEFULLY be within the next week, I am taking her to get spayed, I'm glad I said something cause I was just going to wait awhile since I figured I would have no "problems" with my boys being nuetered.. I at least want to wait til we get in our new place especially with it happening soon, I don't want her to be healing in the middle of a move.. I'm afraid extra stress will mess with the healing process and I don't want my baby girl to have any problems if we can help it!

Omygoodness that's hilarious! The left one hahahahahhah.. yeah I haven't came across either one of my boys going after ANYTHING except the situation at hand..lol

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can take some cats up to two years before their testosterone levels fall away after neutering. In a few cats their testosterone never fully goes away and so they exhibit residual tom behaviour, like spraying and sexual arousal. That your female kitten is 12 weeks old makes me think that her budding oestrogen levels might be having an effect on Loki. If this were the case, then hopefully he'll stop after she's spayed. That's just a very random theory, mind you.

:dance:

They was both fixed as soon as the vet would do it, I think it was 10 or 12 weeks at most, so IDK if they would have any testosterone buildup at all, but IDK very much about that in cats either, or at all lol.. I haven't had any problems either with them spraying *knocking on wood*.. ever, always gone in the litterbox no problems!.. and like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 was saying Apollo is fine with it, it's not bothering anything really, no worse then them play fighting I guess.. I just don't like seeing it lol, hopefully when I get Cali (female kitten) spayed things will calm down, either way I guess as long as they arent hurting each other, its one of their natural instincts , will just defuse the problem if it's happening in front of me, but I won't go out of my way to make sure it's not happening either:updown:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ya gotta be tough to be a cat person, and you also have to be pretty bomb-proof at times! Eventually, you just think, "Oh, darn, they're at it again..." and go on about your business. Easier said than done when your living room looks like a sleazy underground singles club, but there it is.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOLL!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks!

CParsons1208

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 male cats of the same litter do that. The younger one would actually try and nurse from his brother. They ended up growing out of it. It sounds like you have a dominance issue. Do they get along well other than that? As long as they aren't fighting and still eating/using the litter box regularly, I wouldn't worry. If you see and wounds or anything like that I would separate them until they calm down and try to re-introduce them to each other

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a dominance display to me, not outright sexual behaviour - the two can look very similar. It is normal for cats to bite the scruff and straddle one another to establish dominance - their genitals don't touch while this is going on, it's just a grip and hold down kind of like wrestling? It's usually between cats that aren't necessarily hostile either, just arguing over who owns a particular spot, hostile cats would be more likely to go full on spitting hissing and scratching fight.