now my son's kitten died this morning

georgiesmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
last night when i came home she was acting very lethargic and having what seemed to be small seizures so i rushed her to the vet and they said it appeared to be something neurological because of the way she was acting ..she was my super tiny kitten she was about 13 weeks old and was the size of a 6 week old and only weighed a pound...she did eat a few times a day and drink water she was just small like her mom...but then i did everything the vet told me to do in case it was a case of malnutrition ..they gave her glucose i gave her gatorade and water and fed her alot...sand she started to do well, trying to get up and walk although she was very wobbly and fell over alot so i tried to restrict her from too much to conserve energy..just held her alot fed her alot and she was even doing that well actually sitting up in my lap to eat but all during this time still having these small seizures so about 10 we went to bed then i got up with her again at 1 bc she was trying to get off my bed (its only a foot off of the ground) so i fed her and gave her water and let her go try to  walk we were up till 3 then i put her back with me to sleep...then i got up at 5 am and she was gone from my bed! I found her on the floor in front of my bed and she was just lying there and now i heard she was having trouble breathing! I have no idea what could have happened in those 2 small hours!!  What could have possibly happened? Poor Pipsqueak she was so tiny and beautiful i never thought we'd lose her she was totally fine 2 days ago...she was always a calm kitty never really played much, just with georgie when he was alive...did i do something wrong? was she not eating as much as i thought? Could this have all stemmed from me not giving her more food? Could she have been starving to death without me knowing by her not eating something she should have been?  Can a neurological disorder just show up so suddenly like that without warning???? I havent even gotten over Georgie yet :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the loss of your/your son's kitten :(

The fact of her trying to get off the bed, she was trying to leave to die. This is how nature tells them to do, it's normal.

Her breathing looked difficult because she was in the process of shutting down, passing. It's a slow, open mouthed gasp, a gazing, dazed look, eyes looking at nothing basically. The organs were shutting down, heart was ceasing.

You didn't cause this. So many things contribute to the death of a kitten, many, many things we just don't know.

She was very small, I have had quite a few in my years of rescuing litters of kittens, occasionally one is tiny, just doesn't grow or is waaay behind the rest. We do the best we can in hopes of fixing this, sometimes it does, sometimes there is much more going on than what can be seen.

I even had one who was so small, she couldn't be spayed until she was 6 months old!! (2 lbs finally!) Normally the average kitten hits 2 lbs around 9 weeks old, so she was extreme.

She is fine now, small still but adopted out and happy, but you know, who is to say that she will live a long life. She may have a congenital defect that takes her life at 3, 5, ??

Cats, once they are sexually mature, no longer recognize mom is mom, siblings are their littermates, and often will breed, usually this does not make deformed babies, or defected babies, but there are several different signs that we do recognize as defects from inbreeding.

Crooked tails, auto-immune issues like stomatitis, heart murmurs, polydactyls (extra toes) etc.

While we can see these defects/imperfections on the outside, we can not see on the inside.

Your little girl surely had something wrong, her tiny size is a clear picture of this.

I have been forced to accept, no matter how much I don't want to, that some kittens just don't make it. They are too fragile, and I came to understand it is nature's way. Humans often intervene, and while we can make a kitten survive it's weakness sometimes, without our help they would not make it on their own.

They likely would have been seen as the weak link by mom, and taken out of the litter, away from the rest, to die.

Done, despite the deep love that momma cats have for their kids, because their instincts are much bigger than ours.

Not your fault. Hugs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's no help, but could it have been a genetic problem? Sometimes these poor babies can only grow to be a certain age before they die.And yes, neurological problems may not show up until a certain age or weight if it's genetic. I'm so, so sorry you have to go through this agony again. I truly believe you did all you could for these tiny ones, but the odds were against you and even if they would have had the most expensive care available they still would have crossed the bridge. I'm just so happy that you gave them some comfort and joy in their short lives. A heart defect would also show up when they got older and their hearts just can't support a growing body. My heart breaks for you. Please know I'm sure they both new you loved them very much, and they loved you in return.Please accept our condolences and let it comfort you in your sorrow. God bless you and keep you and your other babies safe! RIP beautiful Pipsqueak!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hugs for you, I am so sorry this happened.  I really don't think it is anything you did or didn't do.  This little kitten was not growing and  she had started to have seizures.  Please believe what catwoman707 has posted and keep telling your self you are a good, loving person. You and your family welcomed this tiny creature in to your family with love and care, and did everything you could to keep her healthy. 

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...a calm kitty never really played much...
I'm so sorry for all that you have gone through of late, please don't take it personally.

I've highlighted and "quoted" something you said... I participate in more than one cat forum, and that very phrase has come up elsewhere for kittens that didn't make it. To make a long explanation short... kittens aren't supposed to be calm.

Your story isn't the first I've read about a "perfect" kitten, no trouble, calm... etc. being found with trouble breathing and then going down hill fast.

This isn't something you did or something you could have prevented... however please learn from it. It may sound flippant but kittens and calm do not go together. Consider it a warning sign should you ever encounter it again.

Hugs to you for all that has happened.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten who I got at 2 ish weeks and bottle fed.  I noticed she was not really growing much and took her to vet.  She was small and thin.  Played some but started to slow down.

She had suspected liver shunt.  I did not have it confirmed as it made no difference.  At the end she siezed and was very slow.  Vet said short term the kitten milk was probably making the difference and going to kitten canned may have started the down spiral but not much would help long term.  She peacfully passed in my hands vs days more of suffering.

What matters is you did not let them suffer.  You tried to do best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgiesmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But the part that sucks the most is that after I did everything the vet said to do she was IMPROVING! Then a few hours later she was dying….very very sad she was so sweet

thank you again everyone i dont know how i would be ok if i didnt have you all hear to listen and lend me your thoughts and prayers

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweet y. You did absolutely nothing wrong and everything right. Nobody could have given her more love than you did. Of course she she could feel the love from you for her. As Bob and Di said these things happen for no rhyme or reason. It just does. Like babies. Born fine. Nothing detected and a week later they've gone.
It must be so hard to lose 2 so close together. You must be heartbroken. Everyone here feels your pain and know you did more than your best for her. Be comforted that they are now both together on the bridge.
Big hugs.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sniffle: Don't beat yourself up. You did what you were supposed to do. I know how you feel. I've lost a few cats over the years. It hurts a lot. :alright: Rest In Peace Pipsqueak. :angel: