Now, Later Or Never?

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those of you who have read about George and Louie know that we lost George to Pure Red Cell Aplasia last weekend. It’s been a hard week, harder because Louie is missing his brother. Cuddles with me more which is out of character as George was the cuddly one. Calls for George in the mornings when they usually had romp time.
This might I gad talked myself into getting another kitten so Louie would have a new buddy. We went to an adoption fair this afternoon and found a 5 month old brown tabby DSH. He was outgoing and not at all afraid of us. When I got home instead of feeding excited about bringing home a new kitty I felt very sad. I got really worried. What if he and Louie don’t get along? What if the new kitty, unlike George and Louie, is destructive? What if there are litter box issues because the 2 don’t settle in? What if they liked each other and became buddies? How do you know? George and Louie clearly loved each other. They played, groomed, slept and looked after each other. Is it likely Louie would accept and really like a new friend? Would he be ok as an only cat? He gets along well most of the time with the dogs. At meal time he can be a bit bratty while I am preparing their meals. We have always felt that animals benefit from having one of their own species around even when their were others around. Yet I know many folks have one kitty and they can’t all be miserable. If I don’t adopt another kitty soon will Louie get to accustomed to being an only cat and make it harder to adjust to a new kitty later. What if Louie gets sick and dies like George? We don’t know why George got sick. Please help me clear my head!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! It sounds to me as though it's a bit too soon for you-all.

I think it depends on the cat, Louie would possibly like some cats and won't like others.
My Big Guy has been an Only since he came to us. He needed it this way and is very happy.
Every cat is different, and you know Louie, I think I would wait, and keep an eye on him and love on him a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think you right. I don’t think we are ready to welcome a new kitty. I thought we might be, to give Louie a new companion, but I don’t think we are.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal to worry and have that "what if" thing going through your head, but if you feel ALL that and not even a drop of excitement or anticipation, I'd wait. The kitten you were considering sounds bold and inquisitive and will find a good home I bet =)