Now I Have Three Cats In A Small Apartment

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll had 5 kittens back in July 2018. I sold them all, and also gave one to my niece. I was planning to stay just with two cats. Now my niece is having issues taking care of the kitten, for she's busy working two jobs and also in college. She was complaining about the kitten being lonely so long and not letting her have her much needed sleep, and the kitten being too active. Every time I texted her about how the kitten was doing, she gave a negative comment about its high maintenance. Well, this time I asked for the kitten back. It wasn't good for her or the kitten. It's a Blue Point Mitted Ragdoll kitten. She returned it to me this evening and I will stay with it and not sell it. But I am concerned with the work, expense, and maintenance of the three cats in my small apartment. Can I manage? Any tips? I really want to stay with all of them.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is your apartment? We have nine in a house that is less than 1000 sq ft, averaging a little more than 100 sq ft per cat. We have five adult humans, too. Giving them lots of vertical spaces helps a lot.

We found a good, affordable vet and I keep a pretty tight budget.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now my niece is having issues taking care of the kitten, for she's busy working two jobs and also in college. She was complaining about the kitten being lonely so long and not letting her have her much needed sleep, and the kitten being too active. Every time I texted her about how the kitten was doing, she gave a negative comment about its high maintenance.
One reason why anyone with a busy lifestyle and little time to care for a pet shouldn't get one at all :nono:

If your apartment allows 3 pets, it should be fine as long as the cats have plenty of vertical space like cat trees or shelves, even a bookcase or table. You'll need another litter box.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
1000 square feet is a bit tight for 3 cats, IMO, but inst' anything truly unmanageable, especially if you add lots of vertical space.

Cocodelo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I added a kitten when my 2 cats were about 2years old, and we were in a 1200sf condo. She had come from living at a stable with horses. It never felt like too many. I did wonder about an extra litter box - but found one from "Hidden Litter" that was designed to look like a plant, and some friends never even realized it was not just a plant! The third cat added a lot of fun, and gave me 19 wonderful years. No regrets for keeping her!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How big is your apartment? We have nine in a house that is less than 1000 sq ft, averaging a little more than 100 sq ft per cat. We have five adult humans, too. Giving them lots of vertical spaces helps a lot.

We found a good, affordable vet and I keep a pretty tight budget.
Oh wow Elphaba09 Elphaba09 . I think I would go crazy with this setup. Kudos to you for making it work.

I have around 1100 square feet in my 2bdrm apartment with myself and 2 cats and could easily add a 3rd. I don't know how much space you have, 10009891 10009891 , but one more could fit. Worst case scenario you could still find another home for the kitten, although I admire you for taking it back.

Finances-wise my advice would be to plan for the long term. Figure out an annual budget for your cats and stick to it. Keep an eye on food prices and stock up several months worth when food goes on sale. Ask the vet if they have a multi-cat discount.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 in a 1185 sqft apt and its spacious enough. I also think 3 for 1000ish would be too tight but there are many people who have made it work. And probably depends on the type of cats. 2 of mine are energetic so it wouldn't be good. But if you have calmer cats it might be fine too.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow Elphaba09 Elphaba09 . I think I would go crazy with this setup. Kudos to you for making it work.
It is actually really easy. Our house is a Craftsman style (ish) bungalow, so they have two floors to run. The worst part is dealing with cat hair and scooping the cat boxes, which we usually do twice a day. The cats have their favorite people and often entertain each other. The only time they are all together is when they get fed their wet food in the morning and at night. Even then, it is only eight of the nine because Freya likes to eat in the sitting room. With all the added vertical spaces and pretty much free range of the house, they each have their own space. They do often stay in small groups.

Surprisingly, they rarely fight, and none of those have actually been much more than air swiping matches. Tara used to be an issue (usually stalking Astrid), but she is trained now to come to me when I click my fingers and say her name. On rare occasions, someone will have to stand next to her to get her to stop stalking.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
My 3 have been fine in my tiny apartment. The senior gal hates the young guy (he wants to play and she's old and cranky) but we've managed.