Now another one is licking water off paw

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I discovered that Tonya likes to dip her paw into her bowl and lick the water off her pads - over and over. I know other cats like to do this. At the shelter there are a couple who do this dipping into the watering cans we use to fill the bowls in the cages. Tonya is very delicate about it, one dip, then lick, and she doesn't make a mess. She drinks a lot of water. Since she started this her water bowl is always got stuff in it and needs changing.

Just now I heard splashing behind me and it was Ariel pawing - splattering - water from the bowl in this room and then licking water off her paw. She kept doing it several times - splashing hard on the surface of the water, about 4 times, before she licked it off her paw. Though the water dish is on a big plastic tray, she got water all over the wood floor. Sigh. Ariel, as pretty as she is, fine boned and delicately put together, is, well, a klutz. She loves the Da Bird and the Go Cat Dancer, but she can't catch them at all unless I stop them in front of her and practically put it in her mouth for her. This pawing the water - splat, splat, splat, splat - is just like her, but not so charming - especially for my floors.

So, this new fad at my house I'm not so crazy about. I never had a cat who did this before, and now I have two!

As a side note, yesterday was the first time, ever, that I remember seeing Lily drink. I've been looking for her to drink because when she had dental surgery in December they said she was dehydrated (so she had to have an IV). I said then that I don't remember ever seeing her drink. I put 3 teaspoons of water into her canned food meal in the evening. She consumes all of that, at least. But I was very happy to see her drink water, finally, and it was a good long drink. I told her what a good girl she is.

Now she'll probably take up this new paw dipping technique as it seems to be all the rage around here.
I hope she's refined about it, like Tonya.

Robin

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol!! I am sorry about your floors, but I can just imagine it...Flash does the paw dipping to once she's finished though she leaves wet footprints behind her because of her very fluffy paws

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perla, as well, dips her paws in to drink. Perkins has followed suit, but adds some splashing along with the dips. It is funny how they learn these habits from watching one another. I have resorted to keeping an old towel under the bowl to catch the splashes and keep my floor dry!! Perkins and Perla also love the kitchen sink and are always hanging around when I am running water and doing the dishes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But Perla, Perkins, and Midnight are kittens. Ariel is going on 5 years old. She has no excuse for being such a spazz - except she's ARIEL!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
smooch does it to only if hes drinking out of the tap though both him and flash are about 2.5 nearly 3 years old

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I don't mind the dipping the paw in the water part. It's the smack, smack, smack, smack (4 times every time) with the flat of her paw that makes big splashes - because I have 85 year old wood floors in every room of my house. And 5 water bowls. And she just started this for unknown reasons.

I'm lowering the water level in the bowls and patrolling often with a towel. The bowls are all on big oversized plastic trays.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ariel (and all my cats) no matter what she does. But Ariel is always coming up with new ways to be difficult.

Robin

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about what I wrote last, and I wasn't fair to Ariel. She's difficult in some ways. But all my cats are in some ways.

Robin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

I was thinking about what I wrote last, and I wasn't fair to Ariel. She's difficult in some ways. But all my cats are in some ways.

Robin
Aw Robin, no worries! Most of us have at least one "Ariel" and know just what you mean.

I don't have any paw dippers (thank goodness), but I can just imagine the mess we'd have around here if Ming Loy, Billy, or Lazlo decided to drink that way.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Matti does the same thing! I thought at first she dipped her paws in the water bowls because the bowls were not full enough, but...she just keeps doing it. She does make quite a mess sometimes, splashing the water around.
It is nice to know that she is not the only one!