Noticed a bleeding scar in my cat's neck

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes a 3-5 month old kitten, she has a sister(adoptive-) they like to fight but they never use claws! Saying this before anyone asks.
My cat was on the litterbox and i noticed something on her neck, she has a pretty big scar and it was bleeding, she has been scratching that zone for a while now, licking as well, they're deparasited and have that thing so they get no fleas/bugs and stuff. I added a bit of painless alcohol on her neck (i gently picked her up and placed her in the bathroom and poured the liquid on a paper and placed it on the scar, when she complained I'd take it off, calm her and then start again, that for uhm 3 times. Then she went to the bed but my dad came, picked her in a way that she couldn't move nor complain and started pouring the liquid straight from the bottle and i told him not to do that and he told me to keep quiet and kept the kitty in his arms because he wanted her to be close, i kept telling him to put her down and she ended up stressed [shes fine now, sleeping with me as i write this]) ~ thought I'd share that to know if i did it right or wrong, please let me know... I not what can i do?? We might take her to the vet if she keeps scratching it. Heres a pic. I need help im really worried about her

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where on her neck is the wound? What do you use for flea treatment and when was it last applied?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where on her neck is the wound? What do you use for flea treatment and when was it last applied?
Behind her left ear and it's a pill that u place on their fur and the skin absorbs it, It was applied 2 weeks ago and has to be applied every 3 months

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what painless alcohol is - but placing isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on a sore is going to hurt a lot. Is this the same cat/kitten that is/was being allowed on your balcony with a leash? If so, could it be the leash causing the sore?

Is it in the area where you placed the flea treatment? I also am not aware of a pill flea treatment that is left on the neck to dissolve into the skin - there are liquids that do that...Nonetheless, if that was done 2 weeks ago, it could still be the issue since you said she has been scratching that area for a while now - so, she might have actually scratched herself raw.

If you have an antibiotic cream (no pain medicine included), you can apply that to the sore to try to help heal it. Or you can buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on her nose with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

The bottom line is to try find out where/how she might have gotten this injury, so it doesn't happen again.

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what painless alcohol is - but placing isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on a sore is going to hurt a lot. Is this the same cat/kitten that is/was being allowed on your balcony with a leash? If so, could it be the leash causing the sore?

Is it in the area where you placed the flea treatment? I also am not aware of a pill flea treatment that is left on the neck to dissolve into the skin - there are liquids that do that...Nonetheless, if that was done 2 weeks ago, it could still be the issue since you said she has been scratching that area for a while now - so, she might have actually scratched herself raw.

If you have an antibiotic cream (no pain medicine included), you can apply that to the sore to try to help heal it. Or you can buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on her nose with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

The bottom line is to try find out where/how she might have gotten this injury, so it doesn't happen again.
Yes that's the same kitten but I fixed the balcony and she goes out without a harness now, im always checking on her tho - i figured out it could have been her sister because she grooms her now, she has never done that before.
Painless alcohol is just less painful and itchy i just don't know the name, i didn't apply it directly as i put it on a paper and stopped whenever it hurted her - im aware how bad its for her but my dad refuses to listen , I don't have that cream and i doubt that i can find it here however thank you!! I

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Warm water is better for wounds then alcohol, even painless alcohol. Alcohol actually damages the healing skin and will slow down the healing process. As long as the wound isn't getting bigger and isn't infected, keeping it clean is the best you can do without a vet.. If the kitten allows, holding a warm cloth against it can help with drawing out any possible infection. If she is messing with it, you can make a homemade cone with a paper plate in a pinch. But if it is getting bigger or has redness or leaking white material you do need to see a vet.

My guess is a reaction to the flea treatment. Either it bothered her skin and she scratched at it or a rash that is stabbing over. Either way, I'd avoid that flea treatment in the future. Check with your vet for other options do NOT use something from a store or online without your vets sign off. There are a lot of bad options out there and if your kitten is already showing sensitivity it is really risky to try something unknown.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take your kitty to the vet.

Your dad holding her close so she can’t squirm around and use her claws won’t hurt your cat. Look up the Vancouver Vet on YouTube and watch his videos on Squish That Cat. I’ve had to squish Belle a few times for her safety and health. Once was during her annual visit to the vet. The assistant tried scuffing, but Belle reacted violently and I had to take over handling her while the doc examined her.

Relax. Your kitty will pick up on your tension and will stress, wondering what danger you see that she doesn’t. Be calm when your father’s trying to help. Your kitty will be looking to you for cues and will get over being so handled quicker.

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes a 3-5 month old kitten, she has a sister(adoptive-) they like to fight but they never use claws! Saying this before anyone asks.
My cat was on the litterbox and i noticed something on her neck, she has a pretty big scar and it was bleeding, she has been scratching that zone for a while now, licking as well, they're deparasited and have that thing so they get no fleas/bugs and stuff. I added a bit of painless alcohol on her neck (i gently picked her up and placed her in the bathroom and poured the liquid on a paper and placed it on the scar, when she complained I'd take it off, calm her and then start again, that for uhm 3 times. Then she went to the bed but my dad came, picked her in a way that she couldn't move nor complain and started pouring the liquid straight from the bottle and i told him not to do that and he told me to keep quiet and kept the kitty in his arms because he wanted her to be close, i kept telling him to put her down and she ended up stressed [shes fine now, sleeping with me as i write this]) ~ thought I'd share that to know if i did it right or wrong, please let me know... I not what can i do?? We might take her to the vet if she keeps scratching it. Heres a pic. I need help im really worried about her
Update!
Her scar is not improving, its getting bigger as she keeps scratching and licking it - she has become more aggressive ever since?? Not a lot but has scratched me for the very first time, twice in a day and we were just playing (not w hands) we use water and a small spray that's good for cats (no more alcohol) after pouring it she seems to hate being picked up or touched so i just let her on her own(meaning i give space and won't touch), but im always around her and her sister ... I dunno what to do anymore

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's time for a vet visit to get that wound properly treated. If the location of the wound will allow it, once you have gotten it treated, you probably should also get a cone for her to wear so she can't scratch at it while it is trying to heal.

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's time for a vet visit to get that wound properly treated. If the location of the wound will allow it, once you have gotten it treated, you probably should also get a cone for her to wear so she can't scratch at it while it is trying to heal.
Ya! We agreed to see the vet tomorrow as soon as it opens, hopefully it isn't a really bad thing and we can heal it with no stress for the poor thing. Thank you tho!

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Upadte: this is a good one^^
We took two visits.. we got a cone but it was too big so shw cannot wear it but we bought a cream that's really effective....her scar is completely closed now :] last vet appointment is tomorrow to see if its progressing greatly