Note on PFAS in pet food packaging.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The article notes that there are PFAS in packaging of pet -- DOG and CAT --foods, some more than others. Right here I'm going to say the article also says that

there is no evidence of PFAS transferring from the packages to the food. The main concern is the inhalation of the dust--not the consumption of the food itself.

The second article argues that there is a danger for the PFAS to transfer from packaging to food - But other research has established the potential for PFAS in packaging to contaminate the food within, which would put families and their four-legged friends at further risk. -

Quibble with Kibbles: ‘Forever chemicals’ in pet food packaging add to perils at home | Environmental Working Group (ewg.org)

Highest levels in Purina cat chow, Kibbles N Bits, Meow Mix, and Blue Buffalo.

New Study Shows Dangerous 'Forever Chemicals' in Popular Pet Food Packaging (yahoo.com)

Aside from cooking yourself, I have no idea what you can do about this. It was suggested to me that I read the article. I think all you can do is be alert. As F always.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can cut the parts you need off the original bag - the bar code, the
ID#, the best by date, the name. Then you have a very small thing that's easy to keep handy and doesn't slide around the way a folded bag doees.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So if the concern is the dust, I wonder if feeding the crumbly bits isn't okay? My dog's food crumbles quite a bit and I've always fed that but now am wondering if that's not ideal. And I can remove it from the bag and freeze it in smaller bags, but I wonder how much that matters since it's already been stored in the bag before purchase anyway.

I'll be honest, being hyper aware of all the ways companies are careless with chemicals is becoming exhausting.