Not using the box

phyllisanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a cat that does his business every where but not in his cat box. I was here a couple months ago and you were very helpful. I always thought you could NEVER get the smell of cat pee out of the carpet. One person came up with several ideas which had me researching on the internet. I was looking for the cheapest solution to my problem and found white vinegar and water will break down the enzymes in the urine. i can buy the vinegar with food stamps so that is very helpful. Also, there was another person in the forum suggested I could bring Velvet to a vet for little money to get the "Prozac" treatment. I haven't looked into that because I am going thru a divorce and get no spousal support payment. 25 year marriage lost because Meth use was far more important than me. I am fighting Social Security so needless to say,,I have zero income. I  am 60 and had 5 spinal operations and they said no. Anyway, we had 6 cats together and I could only take three. Velvet is a problem child because of the cat box issue. I will say, Thank You for making me understand what he is doing is not because he wants to be a bad boy. Thanks to the forum, I no longer chew him out every time he does his business in my room. With that information I learned here, it gave us a new relationship. Poor guy. Anyway the reason I am writing today, I have a friend that is a vet. tech. and told her my financial situation and she had cats treated with a "Prozac" type of treatment for the same issue. She came up with Composure By Vetri Science. Looking it up, I still have $30+ to pay. She never had experience with Composure. Any idea's out there that can be a little cheaper. I wish I had discovered you years back.

The Catsite is the bomb! Thank You 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch - you're really in a tough spot.  I wish you the best of luck in your fight with Social Security - from what I've read, this is a total nightmare.  Anyway, to get to your question... Bach's Rescue Remedy might be an option.  You can order 10 mls for under $20. It doesn't work for every cat but members here have reported a lot of success with it.  

http://www.directlyfromnature.com/Rescue_Remedy_Pets_s/1962.htm

Have you heard about Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter?  http://preciouscat.com/product/   Their products have helped a lot of cats with litter box issues.  I understand the financial issue, but from what I've heard, you can just put an inch or two on top of your regular litter so it's more economical.   I actually would try this before investing in calming agents.