Not Using Litterbox

Ravenrogue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I got my kitty about a week ago and he has been using his litter box fine until tonight. The litter box is quite big, but it's covered, I clean it twice a day at least or as soon as I realize hes used it. Yesterday I didn't realize he was using it and walked into the bathroom and he bolted out of the box, so I think I might of scared the poor little guy :(

He did use it to pee during the day, but tonight he pooped on a blanket in the spare room. I took the top of the box off so that its open now. Any advice on what to do to get him to use it again/ or not be afraid of using it?

Another reason might be that he's frustrated, I think he used to be an outdoor cat and he desperately wants to go outside, he's usually not that bothered during the day and mostly sleeps but as soon as it gets dark he meows at the door.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitty. Sorry, though, that he had a litter box accident. It does sound like he was startled when you walked into the bathroom, and is now nervous of using the litter box. Taking the cover off is a good idea. If it happens again, maybe put his poop in the litter box and let him see/smell it.

You could also maybe try getting a 2nd litter totally different litter box and see if he uses that. Some cats actually prefer 2 litter boxes - 1 for pee and 1 for poop.

Is he an anxious/timid cat in general? If so, here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite

About him wanting to go outside, here's a couple more articles:
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I got my kitty about a week ago and he has been using his litter box fine until tonight. The litter box is quite big, but it's covered, I clean it twice a day at least or as soon as I realize hes used it. Yesterday I didn't realize he was using it and walked into the bathroom and he bolted out of the box, so I think I might of scared the poor little guy :(

He did use it to pee during the day, but tonight he pooped on a blanket in the spare room. I took the top of the box off so that its open now. Any advice on what to do to get him to use it again/ or not be afraid of using it?

Another reason might be that he's frustrated, I think he used to be an outdoor cat and he desperately wants to go outside, he's usually not that bothered during the day and mostly sleeps but as soon as it gets dark he meows at the door.
Try n comfort him as much as possible.Play with him.To keep his mind off outdoors.Take him tolitter box n put him in it.And talk to him n rub him.May take several times n then let him b with the litter box issue n let him go on his own.Going to take time n PATIENCE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravenrogue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thx, I will try getting a second one, that might be the problem :p He is not really anxious, he was scared the first 2 days and hid under our bed but now he is very confident and walks around like owns the place lol, he even likes tummy rubs which is a new one for me, all my previous cats would never tolerate that, so I think I've gained his trust a little bit. He is VERY private about the litterbox though, If he's on his way to the bathroom and he sees me near the room he will just wait until I'm out of sight to use it.

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little tip - cats, especially when they used to live outside - they do their toilet in a secluded place, away from any eyes for safety reasons.
Perhaps put your second litter box into some place dark and quiet, and also try using sieved soil from outside instead of a litter to start with?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two prefer their covered box (maybe because they feel more protected/a greater sense of privacy). The cover might still be a good option for him. I agree that it's a good idea to have at least two separate, completely different boxes for him to choose from.

We had one accident on a blanket when mine were little, but adding another box fixed the problem!

Last edited:

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Good, so good you have done, war&wisdom.
I believe that you know more about cats who are inside-only.
What you said makes sense.
But if an adopted cat was outside cat previously, - the person has to get used to the inside-only life, hence the toilet issues should be addressed accordingly to their previous life-style, and changed very gradually.
Lots of respect to you.
Covered box is kind of secluded area they would be looking for, but let them choose first. I believe that they will come back to covered Box with nice litter.

Last edited:

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks War&wisdom, you are totally right.
I'm not in any way criticizing.
Cats are never bad, they just can not be bad due to their nature.
Cats always respond to any type of people in any way they can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravenrogue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got an extra box yesterday, he hasn't used it yet, but he is using the original box now, and even used it while I was in the room! I also changed the litter to a more sandy type ( was using the white crystal type litter before) and I think that was the problem. I got the "cats best green power" litter and honestly I'm just as impressed with it as the kitty is :lol: It clumps much better and there is literally no smell :D