Not sure what this cat is thinking . . .

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat, Jennie, who is almost a year and  arrived almost 4 weeks ago.  I also have 2 resident cats, 1yo and 1.5 yo .  At first there was nice trilling from my cats at the kittens door.  Then the kitten interfered with Fluffy's playtime, currently right before I go to bed in the room next to the kitten's room.  Fluffy hissed at the kitten. A couple days later Fluffy managed to run into the room and hiss and swat at Jennie.  Another time Fluffy and the kitten 'met' while the Jennie was exploring the fist floor. (Fluffy needs more than 1 bell I think) Again she charged at the kitten and hissed and swatted and Jennie swatted back.  There was Fluffy fur and not Jennie fur left behind.

We have had all the cats in my room at different times and there is a screen door with the bottom 3 inches unblocked so they can see each other.  the door also allows paws under the door.  Fluffy has taken her favorite toy there a couple of times and laid down with it.  But other times she will charge the door if Jennie is nearby.

I know the next step is feeding at the door but Fluffy is a picky eater and Jennie only eats dry food.  So I am trying cat treats.

This morning I had Jennie in my room and hadn't closed the door yet and Fluffy walked in.  Jennie was playing and we tried to get Fluffy to play with another toy but she decided to sit and watch.  All seem to be going well until I put Jennie's toy on the bed to get another off the dresser.  Jennie jumped up on the bed after the toy.  Fluffy walked up to the bed and looked at the kitten.  I thought she was going to try and sniff the kittens rear, but no, she jumped up and was able to push the kitten with 2 paws then sat on the floor.  There was no hissing.  Jennie was startled and not sure what to make of it.

So the question is . . Is Fluffy playing when she charges the door and when she jumped and pushed the kitten.  She and Eclipse rough house all the time.  However they are both over 11 pounds and Jennie is about 8 and seems much smaller.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Fluffy and Eclipse play rough all the time, then it's quite possible that he's just trying to play. Watch all their reactions, body language etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference - Asha is about 8lbs and Shadow is at least 13/14lbs, and they play just fine together. Shad seems to know when to back off, and Asha is more than capable of telling him to back off if necessary! (she even has my labrador running scared of her :lol3: ).

Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks @Columbine   I'll just watch and play it by ear.  I still have to separate the other two.  Not sure about Fluffy but I don't think Eclipse was with his mother too long.