Not Sure What Breed This Is

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted an exotic/rare kitty and she's currently at the vet recovering. I (obviously) don't have plans to breed her and she was raised indoors in an apartment with a dog. She has a mellow temperament and is generally quiet. She loves to sit on my shoulder and cuddle. Her fur is super soft and she has markings that resemble a combination of strioes and spots. Her ears are bent forward and she has a somewhat pointed snout. I need to kniw her breed so I can properly care for her. She has a wonderful personality and was raised to be a lovable pet cat. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I was a little iffy about paying $600 but then I realized that was a decent price. She's so awesome--I named her Legate Damar.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But, but, Legate Damar killed Ziyal! :bawling:

Haha, with her name and your username, I'll make a wild guess that you like DS9. . .

Where did you get her? Generally if you pay purebred prices, they tend to mention which breed she is ;). I think there might be other curled-ear breeds, let me look that up. (ETA: yeah, there are but they're all American Curl mixes. So she must be an American Curl.)

Last edited:

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cousins bred her by accident. So yes, she's probably a mix. They're fixing the mother cat once she's back to normal (I suspect I paid for that, but I'm not about to ask). Might also be why me and kitty get along so well.

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update...she's actually a pure Highland Lynx! They sold me a $800-plus cat for $600! And she is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Highland Lynx (aka Highlander) has the curled ears too, which is where we were thinking possibly American Curl. :)

I can't tell from the picture, does she have a short tail? That's a part of the breed standard, but some do have 3/4 length tail.

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope. It's REALLY long. I've read that the preference is a bobtail, but they can have short, medium, or long tails. The breed isn't official yet, so I don't think standards are set in stone yet. I alsp don't have official papers for her because she isn't an accepted show breed. The ear curl can also be subtle or no existant, but this kitty has distinctive curls. But whatever. She's beautiful and has an amazing tail.

Attachments

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More photos here. I agree that she is atypical for her breed. She isn't a polydactyl, either.

Legate Damar | Facebook

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made another folder with features of her breed. I hope I didn't miss anything. If I did let me know and I'll add it. Seriously, alomst no one recognizes her breed and I always get a ton of questions when I show pictures. A complete photo album would help me A LOT.

Features of Damar | Facebook

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. It's REALLY long. I've read that the preference is a bobtail, but they can have short, medium, or long tails. The breed isn't official yet, so I don't think standards are set in stone yet. I alsp don't have official papers for her because she isn't an accepted show breed. The ear curl can also be subtle or no existant, but this kitty has distinctive curls. But whatever. She's beautiful and has an amazing tail.
Highlanders are an Advanced New Breed in TICA, so they should be able to have papers, even if your kitten is "off-standard" because of that long tail. So, I'd recommend seeing if you can track down the breeder to see if you can get the pedigree. It's just nice to have that documentation, because technically if you don't have the pedigree papers, she'd be considered a Domestic Shorthair.

Garak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't intend to ever show her or breed her. I honestly wouldn't need them. I'll ask, but it isn't that ctitical to me.