Not Sure If This Is The Right Forum But...

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i just want to let this feeling I have been having out, this is a site for cat lovers Im sure someone will understand...
My cat Louie has HCM & i didnt know until 2 months ago where he had gone into heart failure
Ive only had him for a year & he is so young, 2 years old.

I know overall prognosis isnt good for cats with HCM and if theyve had CHF its even worse. We have gone to the cardiologist 2 times now and he said that Louie is doing fine and more manged now but we never know when he’ll take a turn for the worst. And HCM never has a positive outcome.

I spend alot of time reading the health forum here & the crossing the bridge to prepare myself for what I know may happen soon.
I may loose Louie.
I just feel SO SAD about it. Ive lost a cat before, but I was so busy in school that i couldnt wreck myself over it that badly and she had lived her life of 12 years.
Louie is a Baby... hes so sweet and shy...
Why did this happen to him...?!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry and it is understandable that you are sad. He is really young which makes it hard. I know it is hard but try to focus on the here and now and enjoying him now. He doesn't know that this is going on with him, he lives in the moment. We can learn so many lessons from our cats and this is one that he can help you learn.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that Louie is sick but he may surprise you. It sounds like his doc knows what he talking about. Enjoy him!!

Hugs,

Mia :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As young as he is, it is most likely something he inherited or in his genes. This CAN be mangaed for quite some time, especially with your love and excellent care. I had an older cat that was diagnosed with HCM and then had CHF and he lived for 4 years on just lasix. I took a piece of Cat Pill Pocket and 'cemented' teh pill to a piece of bacon which he never refused.
None of us know how much time we have, just love him for as long as you can, don't try to think of the future, just live and love right now.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As young as he is, it is most likely something he inherited or in his genes. This CAN be mangaed for quite some time, especially with your love and excellent care. I had an older cat that was diagnosed with HCM and then had CHF and he lived for 4 years on just lasix. I took a piece of Cat Pill Pocket and 'cemented' teh pill to a piece of bacon which he never refused.
None of us know how much time we have, just love him for as long as you can, don't try to think of the future, just live and love right now.....
Yes very true. It is genetic because hes a ragamuffin & the vet told me that this gene is prevalent among ragdoll ragamuffins and persians.

I do cherish him everyday, show him love, make him comfy...
But I get so depressed when K realize he wont be around and one day will be the day that his heart wont be able to function.

He has the obstructive form of HCM, and if after 2 years hes had one failure Im sure the heart muscle will continue to hypertrophy until its completely obstructed :(

It just breaks my heart. He is so so so sweet.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course it breaks yoru heart, you love him and you don't want him to have any problems at all. Try to stay positive, althogh I know how hard that is, At least you know of his condition and can take steps to make him have as long and as happy life as possible, I pray it is for many, many years!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course it breaks yoru heart, you love him and you don't want him to have any problems at all. Try to stay positive, althogh I know how hard that is, At least you know of his condition and can take steps to make him have as long and as happy life as possible, I pray it is for many, many years!
Thank you so much