Not Sure If Diarrea?

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So twice last night I heard Tali (10 weeks old) in the litter box. It sounded wet like diarrhea (some flatulence, just loud enough for me to hear it and wonder). I got concerned - I have not changed up her diet from her previous caretaker. Two flavors of Wellness Core wet food (the “Kitten” pâté and another pâté that is herring with other flavors).

My bed has white sheets and so do my pillows. Didn’t see any streaks of feces or poo markings. I’ve read that I should wait a day and see if it continues?

Last night I was just worried her butt was going to be up against my face or on my stomach and I’d smell something horrible. Thankfully none of that. This morning there were two super tiny tiny (1mm or less) bits of black... charcoal? Might be from the litter.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you cannot tell when you scooped out the box whether there was anything in there besides pee? If she had diarrhea, I would think you would be able to detect that from something else. It's difficult to detect anything from the picture...looks like too tiny pees to me.

Since you aren't sure at all if she has diarrhea, then yes, I would at least wait until you ARE sure or not before doing anything more. Has she been checked out by your Vet for all the normal parasites, etc?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the pic, but if you're describing the poo as black like charcoal that could mean there is internal bleeding, or at least constipation. I would watch next time she is going to the litter box to see what happens..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep an eye on her. She might actually be constipated with gas. If she doesn't produce a good poop today, you'll need to get her checked. They can rupture their bowels if they don't go regularly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have her on the same food that she was eating before you adopted her? Sometimes new foods can upset a kittens stomach or give them diarreah. As others have said, check her litterbox and if she does have diarreah or loose stools give her the tiniest bit, like a teaspoon of pure cooked pumpkin mixed in wet food and it should help. If it continues for more than a day though I would have the vet check her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you cannot tell when you scooped out the box whether there was anything in there besides pee? If she had diarrhea, I would think you would be able to detect that from something else. It's difficult to detect anything from the picture...looks like too tiny pees to me.

Since you aren't sure at all if she has diarrhea, then yes, I would at least wait until you ARE sure or not before doing anything more. Has she been checked out by your Vet for all the normal parasites, etc?
I'm scheduling a vet visit for this coming Saturday. If it has to be sooner, of course / so be it. :) It'll be her first visit. This following morning there were a lot of clumps to scoop in a variety of sizes. However, this evening, I scooped up just one large looking clump. I noticed her drinking water after eating a round of food this evening, so that is good. If I hear something weird tonight I'll look carefully in the morning.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but if you're describing the poo as black like charcoal that could mean there is internal bleeding, or at least constipation. I would watch next time she is going to the litter box to see what happens..
There's been fairly big/normal clumps but there was one that may have been dark and looked like (for lack of a better description) a tree branch? Albeit a super tiny one. A stool that was covered mostly in litter but looked dark. I haven't seen her at the litter box today since I was out for a few hours, but I'll observe the next time she does if I'm awake.

Keep an eye on her. She might actually be constipated with gas. If she doesn't produce a good poop today, you'll need to get her checked. They can rupture their bowels if they don't go regularly.
Oh goodness... Well, today I did scoop up one big clump. Not multiple clumps. But that was between litter scooping at 9am and 7pm.

Last night the odor was there. It didn't smell any different from her previous dumps, but the litter box is still in my bedroom as it moves its way to the bathroom. Now I prop open the window open when I'm out/during the day.

Do you have her on the same food that she was eating before you adopted her? Sometimes new foods can upset a kittens stomach or give them diarreah. As others have said, check her litterbox and if she does have diarreah or loose stools give her the tiniest bit, like a teaspoon of pure cooked pumpkin mixed in wet food and it should help. If it continues for more than a day though I would have the vet check her.
Yes, I have her on the same food she had before with the exception of a new flavor. Both flavors are one brand though (Wellness Core wet food). Her previous owners had her on the same food.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There were the unusual noises last night and I checked - she has soft stool. I called a recommended veterinary hospital today and will take her in tomorrow afternoon.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good. This may well be as simple as parasites, but I'm firmly in the "better safe than sorry" group when it comes to the health of our cats!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, good. This may well be as simple as parasites, but I'm firmly in the "better safe than sorry" group when it comes to the health of our cats!
I just talked with my coworkers and I *did* introduce something new to her diet. While she was fed the kitten formula of Wellness Core, I introduced another flavor which was not kitten formulated (Whitefish/Herring/something else pate) - this could be why her stomach got upset. I'll roll back to just the stuff she was eating before in any case.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked with my coworkers and I *did* introduce something new to her diet. While she was fed the kitten formula of Wellness Core, I introduced another flavor which was not kitten formulated (Whitefish/Herring/something else pate) - this could be why her stomach got upset. I'll roll back to just the stuff she was eating before in any case.
Yes, it may be that an ingredient in this one doesn't sit well with her, or you needed to introduce it more slowly.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That could be your culprit! Cats need to be transitioned slowly from one food to another, by mixing a bit of the new in with the old, and slowly increasing the new over time. And we have a bunch of cats here with fish issues, as well.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That could be your culprit! Cats need to be transitioned slowly from one food to another, by mixing a bit of the new in with the old, and slowly increasing the new over time. And we have a bunch of cats here with fish issues, as well.
I took her to the vet and got results back today that she has tapeworms. I'll be getting her medication tomorrow and hopefully we can get rid of them very soon.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! Well...not that she has tapeworms, but that the issue is something that can be so easily resolved!