Not sure how to curb aggression by resident cat

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I'll try to keep this short. I have four cats, but this centers around two of them. The resident boy, Ori, and the new boy, Fruit Loop. It's been a very... VERY long road, due to several factors, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

When I was finally able to start letting Fruit Loop out loose, Ori was indifferent, though it took a long time to get there. He'd give him a sniff and then move on. The issue was every time he turned his back, Loop switch from entirely indifferent and would stalk and jump on him in a very dominant, non playful way. Ori is a very skittish cat - He's actually on Prozac, I have feliway diffusers all over the house, and he's wearing a pheromone collar. He's also getting a calming supplement from the vet. (All of this because we moved and he handled it poorly, but I'm continuing the regime until all cats are introduced). So, after these attacks, he started getting nervous and scared. I did try to mitigate the stalking as much as I could before the jumping could happen.

Well, Ori has hit his breaking point, and he fought back. He went after Loop a few times, and Loopy has been put in his place. He is now absolutely perfect - There's been ZERO issues, he gets along great with the other cats, he leaves Ori alone, and is ultimately a model citizen.

...But, Ori has now become actively aggressive. He will hyperfixate on Fruit Loop when he is out, and will randomly sprint over there to attack him. Hisses and howls. At the SAME time, he will come curl up on the couch with me and Loop only an arm's length away and sleep? Today I let Loop out of his room and Ori waited until he was busy and then jumped off the counter and stalked over, ready to jump. I picked him up and put him away to cool down, which does seem to help, though he howls and hisses as I carry him back there. Usually once I let him out after a half hour or so he's a bit better.

I've been hoping that as Loop is out and about without issue that Ori would become less frigid, but this is day three that he's on full alert, wanting to attack. I have no idea how to deal with it. Do I just keep doing what I'm doing? Supervising, and if Ori goes to cause a problem put him away? I do have a wire dog kennel that I could set up, but Ori can't be in it - He will hurt himself panicking. I could put Loop in it where he's safe and let Ori re-acclimate to him maybe?

Please help. We're SO close to having all four cats out together and this is such a major speed bump :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long ago was it that Ori 'fought back'? How does that coincide with when Ori was put on Prozac, and how long has he been on it? Prozac, diffusers, and a pheromone collar might just be too much. But, the other possibility is that some cats can react negatively on Prozac, which can ultimately settle down, or not. The fact that he can sleep around Fruit Loop as long as you are there sounds like you are a calming agent for Ori, and he feels less threatened by Fruit Loop when you are nearby. If not much time has passed since the 'fight back' incident, Ori could be 'reminding' Fruit Loop of who is the boss, so that he does not forget it. And that could pass over time.

I would continue to monitor their time together and remove Ori for a time out when necessary. Make sure you aren't missing any occasions where Fruit Loop is doing anything to 'prompt' a response from Ori when you aren't looking. Other ideas might be made with some of the questions above being answered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ori has been on Prozac for four months now. He has done wonderfully on it. When we started the move process, he was so naurotic he was pulling out fur, peeing all over, etc - He does not do well with change or strange people, and the move was full of both of those. The prozac has leveled him out amazingly. We've been moved for about two months now, and I didn't continue introductions until he was 100% settled in. We had a check-in with my vet just last week, and we've agreed to wean him off of it as soon as all of the cats are living together harmoniously.

It was only three days ago he fought back. I should clarify - These are not true fights, there's no blood, etc. It's swatting, angry hissing, chasing - but not teeth, and no blood. This is a huge step from a previous post of mine, where I got between them right as Ori bit - and he absolutely WAS going for blood and got me instead. (It was nasty - I bled for several hours, had the livid red patch, doctors freaked out. I have scars from it! This is a large reason I've been going soooooo slow). That was pre-move.

I have been watching them like a hawk. There is nothing to trigger Ori - his usual triggers are if he thinks Loop is playing too rough with the kittens, as he is fiercely protective of them. This morning Ori watched from on top of the counter, and when Loopy came into the living room - Just wandering around - He jumped down and came at him. He used to have a trigger around food too but even that has gone away.

As a whole, I have no issue with them scuffling when needed to sort themselves out. But I am NOT okay with random, unprompted attacks when the other cat isn't looking. That's just not fair, and it's going to lead to reactivitiy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
3 days is a very short time. I still think Ori is a bit leery of Fruit Loop and is making sure his message is getting across loud and clear. I don't think cats plot revenge, but it is kind of funny in its own right that Ori is treating Fruit Loop the exact same way that he was being treated before he fought back. Getting sabotaged from behind is exactly what Fruit Loop was doing to Ori before. If you tolerated it from Fruit Loop for a while (I am guessing much longer than 3 days) you can give Ori some leeway here.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 days is a very short time. I still think Ori is a bit leery of Fruit Loop and is making sure his message is getting across loud and clear. I don't think cats plot revenge, but it is kind of funny in its own right that Ori is treating Fruit Loop the exact same way that he was being treated before he fought back. Getting sabotaged from behind is exactly what Fruit Loop was doing to Ori before. If you tolerated it from Fruit Loop for a while (I am guessing much longer than 3 days) you can give Ori some leeway here.
I thought the same thing! Funny how it's the exact same behavior. I don't think it's "revenge" either, but Ori has very clearly had his line crossed after being incredible patient. I've been dealing with it the same way - Putting the cat in question in time out for a bit to cool off. The timeline here is pretty short, actually. It's pretty recent that Loopy has been allowed out with Ori at large, and even less time he's been allowed out with all three (due to his tendency to play too rough now and then, I didn't want Ori sprinting to their rescue and ruining any progress. So, Loop was out with EITHER the kittens OR Ori).

I did intercept the stalking as often as I saw it with Fruit Loop, and if he didn't cut it out he was put away - I only "let" it happen when Ori was watching, in an attempt to let them work it out like I know cats do. But I did miss it a few times, and he got some pounces in. It was crazy how he would be 100% indifferent until the moment Ori turned his back, and then immediately went into stalk mode.

I have Loop out after dinner now while I work. Ori jumped onto the counter to glare with pooftail and some angry meows. Loop seems to have gotten the message and avoids Ori - He won't even walk into the kitchen with him on the counter. I am hoping so much that it's short lived. I don't blame Ori one bit for his behavior - He tolerated being ambushed far longer than he needed to, and I totally understand his swing in temperament. He no longer trusts Fruit Loop and he's making it known, after giving him so many chances before putting him in his place. But I WOULD like to do what I can to mitigate.

I'm so, so, so ready to have them all getting along and have the whole house open to all of the cats. Seems that four cats is the household maximum, lol. (Now they just need to stop showing up at my door.....)

I'll give them both more time. I think I'm maybe being impatient.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the cats yesterday when I took a nap on the couch. Ori is the black cat (He's on top of me) and Fruit Loop is the tabby. Sleeping peacefully so close. So Ori must not be THAT afraid, if he's willing to let his guard down and sleep (He actually even approached and crawled up after Loop was already there!) - So I'm convinced it's just a matter of time!
20240131_161805.jpg

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I think I was just impatient. I brought Fruit Loop out today, and no hissing by Ori. Less hyperfixation as well - He's watching, but he's comfortably loafed on the couch and half asleep, though he perks up when Fruit Loop gets up to wander somewhere or does something. Loop has been a model citizen the last few days, so I think Ori is just understandably slow to trust again. I'm giving him lots of pets and encouragement - Ori is my shadow and is very attached to me, so the post above that said I'm a source of comfort and he's less threatened when I'm nearby. Fingers crossed it continues!

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update! Ori is still being dramatic, but it's improving. He's no longer stalking/attacking. He does not like Loop being near him and will yowl and hiss when he approaches, and then slink sloooooooooowly away (as if he's preparing to be attacked!). I've been putting Fruit Loop away at night so Ori can have a break from being "on guard" but at this point, I think I may try leaving everyone out tonight. At some point he's going to have to learn that everything is okay. Ori is okay with him as long as he keeps his distance - I think it's just a matter of time for him to get used to Loop again now.

I did have all four cats curled up with me on the couch the other day! His leeriness seems to only be when Loop actively approaches him/his space. Loop has been a model citizen the last week, and there's been absolutely zero attacking or jumping on anyone, so I am starting to trust leaving him out. I have been giving Ori some extra 1 on 1 love since he's so attached to me, but I gotta let him figure things out on his own too!

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update (sorry! Lol)

Laying on the couch with Ori (black cat). Fruit Loop (tabby) climbed up and both are sound asleep. I don't think Ori even woke up. I think I'm probably okay to leave them out free together! If this doesn't show that they're fine I don't know what does. The hissing must just be him reinforcing his boundaries. Cats are such goons.
20240206_140638.jpg

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They woke up at the same time because the delivery man showed up and he didn't even care! lmao

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it's prudent to keep updating this or if people read it, but I will anyways! Still definite tension on Ori's part, but he's offering olive branches. While Loop was looking out the door today, Ori slooooooooowly crept up and once they made eye contact he flopped over onto his side. He also crept up and chose to lay close to Fruit Loop on the couch and stretch his head out to sniff, and then settled in.

He does get hostile when Loop approaches him, of course, and he does a good amount of slow slinking around like he's ready to get attacked, but on his own terms he is starting to feel a little more comfortable, and will come over to sniff and whatnot. Fruit Loop is still shut in his room at night and when I'm gone, but for the most part he's out all day - I'm even okay leavign the room if needed, or working outside for a while. If Ori gets too overstimulated and needs a reset (because his overstimulation manifests as hostility and over-reactivity still) I put him in our bedroom for an hour or so and he calms down.

Fruit Loop is still being a model citizen, and hasn't harassed Ori at all. He avoids him, for the most part. This morning Ori climbed into my lap and laid down facing Loop, and stretched a paw out so it was touching him. Loop was VERY disgruntled and got the big murder pupils, but all he did was reach a paw out and give a gentle slap to Ori's foot, who obligingly took his foot back. Then Loop turned around and laid with his back to us :lol:

So, it's going well, thank goodness. It's very, very slow, but I'm starting to see positive signs. I'm hopeful that in another couple of weeks we'll be good to go.

Just for fun, here's a picture I took this morning! It's nice enough here in MN that I opened the sliding door so they ALL had to go look at whatever was so very interesting out there. From left to right it's Ori, Mochi, Millie and Fruit Loop.
all four.jpg

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I spoke too soon. Ori hasn't gotten better at all. Loop has been nothing but GOOD, and goes out of his way to avoid Ori, and Ori is just consistently mean to him. Sneaks up when he's sleeping to smack him, hissing, etc. Today he RAN at him out of the blue and they fought until I separated him. Maybe a different medication could be tried... I don't know. I'm starting to feel defeated. This isn't working. I just don't know how to get it across to Ori that he is FINE. He'll be just fine, until they're nearby. They can coexist in the same room, sleep on the same couch- but if Ori randomly decides to be upset he goes after him and I just don't know how to fix it. Ori will flop down in the sun 6 feet away from Loop! I don't know what else I could possibly be doing to fix this because progress has 100% flatlined and poor Fruit Loop is starting to get anxious about being out in the house.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I bring back the big dog kennel? Ori would not do well in it, but Loop is okay with it. I could put him in there for a day so Ori can feel "safe" approaching him to sniff?