Not nearly a long hair issue..but this hair is SUPER THICK! -- Especially on the lower back and haun

cattysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So learning to groom 101 continues as Catty LaBelle attempts to train me in what she needs.  I brush her every day now with the aide of patience, much floor sitting (oh my aching 54 year old legs) and bribes of treat tidbits.   I've noticed that while she has a LOT of hair everywhere of course, her lower half is not so much long as it is THICK... I mean, it's long, compared to Sadie, our former short-haired cat, but this is THICK THICK THICK..it's like ... I can't even describe how thick this hair is on her bottom part.  

I do the best I can without traumatizing her and I brush her every day and try to keep it as pleasant as possible but I haven't managed to get to her underside (and I know that's important but we are taking baby steps here).  I did manage to get her to sit pretty while I brushed her ruff or scruff or main or whatever that beautiful white part is under and around her face.  I also brushed down her chest.   THe hair on her feet is not long but boy it covers all of her feet like a soft blanket.   I still must work up to brushing her back legs and all underneath her stomach area, but these are major accomplishments for this shyish cat who just came home with us late Friday evening and this is only the following Tuesday.  

Anyway, my point to this post is ...tell me if I'm doing okay so far and to say ... I have NEVER seen such THICK on the fur.  

desommers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a pretty kitty!  In my opinion, I would use a dog comb, not a brush.  I would get her back, behind her neck and areas she has trouble reaching and leave the rest to her.  If you find a matt, cut it out immediately with scissors.  My cat is a short hair and came to me loaded with matts on his back as he cannot reach there.  I cut out the matts and comb him once every three or four days.  Once your new cat gets used to the routine, she’ll love it.  It just takes a few weeks, if not months, so be patient with her!  Enjoy!!!!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best I find for my cat with the same coat as yours is a comb that has staggered teeth lengths. Does look much different than a regular comb and has a wooden handle. It really thins out the thickness of the under side and his hind legs. I bought it a small local owned pet store. I have not seen anything quite like it at the major chain pet stores. After I am done I have a huge ball of fur. Luckily his coat texture does not mat.

desommers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s exactly the same comb I use.  Cat and dog, both.  Works great.  As mine are both short hair, I comb first with that  comb then again with a flea comb to get it all out.  Their coats are like silk!  I just house sat for a long-haired cat and was thinking that they’re going to need “Kitty Static Guard” for the winter  :)