Not kitties but still our sweet girls

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our 5 beautiful bantam hens have gone

Hubby went out to the coop yesterday morning to feed them before he left for his trip and found the coop empty, feathers all over the run and a hole had been burrowed from the outside in. The fox had been in and taken all five of our girls in the night. We've had the oldest hens for nearly two years and not had a single problem before. Our poor girls - we are devastated. We searched the garden in case any had gotten away and hidden themselves, but there was nothing to be found, only feathers further down the garden. When we went out into the garden today, we discovered the fox had been back in the night last night too to see if any more hens had been put in the coop.

Last June, our two older hens hatched out chicks, we kept the girls and the boys went to a local smallholding that breeds bantams. Here they were as babies

Huddled together in the run

One of the Mum hens - Henrietta (this photo was part of another thread last year hence the caption)

The babies had grown up to look exactly like their Mums.

Goodbye to our sweet girls

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beth, I'm so sorry to hear that! It must be especially difficult since you raised them from chicks.

And I'm sure that there are chickens at the rainbow bridge, and there are now 5 waiting for you.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beth i'm so sorry
Bless their little hearts their so cute aren't they!. Wait until i show Gil these because he loves any kind of bird.

Theres a place over at the bridge for any form of animal Beth, that you can be sure of

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beth, we celebrated with such sheer joy the day your babies surprised us all and hatched to greet the world, and I've adored them and their Mums since that very moment. We watched them grow and mature into petite little ladies, each day going out to feed them and enjoy their antics in the garden. Each little chickie has her own speical personality, and I will be forever honored that Stephanie Chickie and I shared our name.

Bless you, Beth, during this painful time of having just lost 5 of your family members. They are all in Heaven now, so happy and healthy, pecking at all the eggs they'd like!

cat_lover_330

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before high school, in my old school, I took on a little Sparrow baby...he didn't even have ANY feathers on him, and people thought that he would die, but I kept him alive!
Once he got his wings and stuff, he would fly around the outside of the house and still come back, and he would perch on my arm and stuff! lol!
Then, one day, he got into my mom's van, and then got out, and mom didn't get him, and I don't know where he is now, but I REALLY hope that he is still alive!
I know that he was just like my little baby too, so I am really sorry for your loss!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How horrible!
I'm so sorry for the loss of your little girls.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible and shocking thing to happen. I am so sorry - they were obviously a much loved part of your family.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. No matter their shape and size, fur or feathers, they were your girls. I am very sorry you lost them in such a violent manner.

They are safe in heaven now, together and happy. Rest in peace, little chickies.