Not familiar with cats. Please Help!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use vinegar and hot water for my countertop cleaner. My table gets wood polish because anything else will hurt the surface. I only use bleach outside when doing the litter pans and I let the pans air dry for a few hours.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've generally found that it's best to have just a few restrictions, but to really enforce them. The sink, stove and food preparation area are completely out of bounds, as is the kitchen table when we are eating. We have a window perch next to the kitchen table which he can sit on so that he doesn't feel left out. JC really loves sleeping in bed with us (what pet doesn't want to at least share the bedroom? I'm allergic), so we keep two acrylic blankets folded loosely side by side at the foot of our bed for him to snuggle up in. They act as a magnet for cat hair, and I throw them in the washer and dryer every week. I've had a lot of luck with the Petkin brand "Allergy Relief Kitty Wipes", which I use on JC when my allergy kicks up. He actually enjoys a good rubdown with them. We have air filters/humidifiers, and have banished as many textiles as possible from the house (we stick to leather furniture and hard floors).
As far as cleaning is concerned, I got a steam cleaner a few months after we got JC, and use that to clean just about everything. To me, that's practically a "must" for pet owners and/or parents of small children.
If the cat started wanting to sleep in the bedroom after you became part of the family, my guess is that he wants to sleep with you!

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

WillowsMom. Be very careful with all that bleach. Chlorine, the main ingrediant in bleach, is very harmful to your lungs. And never mix bleach with any other chemical, it will release deadly chlorine fumes. Just use soap and hot water, it is safer for you.
Oh I know..........I use the same mixture that is used in almost all day cares, I mix a half cap full with all the rest water..........or I use just the plain ol clorax cleaning spray they sell........as for just soap and hot water.......It may be safer but I don't feel it kills germs as well as bleach and since working in child care for 10 years I am very suseptable(sp?) to alot of sicknesses. So I try and keep my kitchen and bathroom VERY clean more so after other people have been in my home. Just a little bit of a clean freak. lol Anyway I know all the dangers of Bleach..........and since it's pretty much all I use to clean my house with I don't have to worry about it getting mixed with anything else....and as long as my house is open and aired out I don't stress to much about the fumes.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, a lot of people think that having the house opened up does the trick. But, while you are using it, you are breathing it. A lot of people in this country have a big fear of bacteria lately. I never use antibacterial cleaners when I handle raw meat, chicken or liver, I am still here
By the way, the chemical companies are not required to list what is in their product, only if it poses an immediate threat of poisoning if it were ingested or if it has a danger of causing an explosion. All the ingrediants that pose a threat from long term exposure are not listed. I understand in child care, where there are so many kids, that you may need to use something like bleach. But comapnies like Lyesol (sp) show commercials spraying their products near kids. Not good people. This is slowly poisoning them! I use only all natural cleaners that are safer for you and the environment.

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I know, a lot of people think that having the house opened up does the trick. But, while you are using it, you are breathing it. A lot of people in this country have a big fear of bacteria lately. I never use antibacterial cleaners when I handle raw meat, chicken or liver, I am still here
By the way, the chemical companies are not required to list what is in their product, only if it poses an immediate threat of poisoning if it were ingested or if it has a danger of causing an explosion. All the ingrediants that pose a threat from long term exposure are not listed. I understand in child care, where there are so many kids, that you may need to use something like bleach. But comapnies like Lyesol (sp) show commercials spraying their products near kids. Not good people. This is slowly poisoning them! I use only all natural cleaners that are safer for you and the environment.
Well according to my Paramedic brother and my EMT/FireFighter soon to be Father In Law. Well ventilated is better then closed up....Not 100% on keeping it out of my lungs no, but cuts it down a bit........plus when mixed correctly with water there is more oder coming from my litter boxes then my spray bottle. I use it mainly for precautionaire measures like I stated before I am very suseptable to many viruses and bacteria's. by using the bleach I cut down the chance of passing it on to friends and my b/f's son and his Ill mother. I'd much rather have myself suffer from the ill effects of the bleach then watch my FMIL catch a cold I brought into the home and see her die from it. She has multiple breathing problems and one tiny cold could cause her a crap load of problems. As for Commercial's showing the useage around children. I think most parents and teachers are smarter then that. But you never know!

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This could be a whole thread in itself, but...
I agree. I use a little bleach with my whites and I use it on the red mould that grows on my bathtub. (It's slanted a bit and the water collects in the corners)

How much is this environmentally safe stuff?

And I like the idea of a power washer. Apparently that sanitizes without using any chemicals at all. Now wouldn't that be a huge bonus?!