Not eating

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am new here. We adopted Suki from the human society yesterday afternoon. We were given a sack of the kibble they have been feeding her and we offered her a half cup yesterday evening. Suki has pooped twice in the liter box. She has drunk out of my water glass. She has not eaten a single bit of kibble. We are just leaving it out and figuring she will eat when she is hungry enough. Is there more I can do to make her comfortable. We are only petting her when she indicates she wants it.
j

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Canned or raw is best to keep her kidneys well & her hydrated. Also, a brush or toys or cat tree, etc. Maybe a window perch? Cats love to see outside, birds, etc. TY very much for adopting her & I'm sure she'll come around in time. If not -- we're all here to help! :)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have any can tuna or anything poultry? If so, try it. Also, maybe wet the kibble a bit. But this isn't normal to not eat, unless she's very stressed. What did shelter say re her not eating?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats are very stressed when moved to new places and won't always eat. I find cat it sticks, or sticks like that are a great bribery, and most love fancy feast pate.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that wet food is best and also recommend Fancy Feast pates. Those always got my girl eating when nothing else would.

You may also want to put her food in several locations throughout the home. She might prefer to eat somewhere away from everyone and everything else if she's stressed about the new location. Maybe place a few kibbles on plates and put them under the bed, in the bathroom, in corners, behind furniture, or wherever she might be hiding, if she's hiding. You may even put a plate on top of a table or dresser if she's exploring up high. Once she's eating again, you can slowly move the plates to some place more acceptable for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suki has eaten about half of the kibble we originally put out. I found a PDF in the articles area that gives a way to calculate the calories Suki need. Hubby and I will study that and put less out the the next time probably.
I still have so much to learn. Our cat tree will be here Wednesday.
j

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get some canned foods for the kitty? If so, again this'd help her so much stay healthy & hydrated which is SO very important to their kidneys. I really would try to steer clear of any 'all-kibble diet' for her health.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suki has eaten about half of the kibble we originally put out. I found a PDF in the articles area that gives a way to calculate the calories Suki need. Hubby and I will study that and put less out the the next time probably.
I still have so much to learn. Our cat tree will be here Wednesday.
j
How old is Suki? Kitten or adult? Because kittens are supposed to eat as much as they like.

Also smaller meals throughout the days instead of 2-3 big meals is better and easier for their digestion. If she doesn't show signs of overeating, it's OK to leave dry food out at all times especially now that she doesn't eat enough. Like my cat eat 2 cans of wet food in 4 meals + some dry food.

But some cats don't want to ear if the food was out for long. Like mine won't eat dry food if it's been outside for longer than 12 hours.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We put a third of a cup out this morning. The package is unclear about total daily amount. If Suki eats all of that early in the day then we will put another third out. We will be buying some small covered glass bowls to put the second half of the canned we have. The cat tree is supposed to arrive Friday. Today I will try to read up on cat behavior (i. e. meows meanings)

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Given the amount of poop I am scooping,I think she is eating plenty. Evidently the canned food did not meet with Sukis' approval! She really sprinted into the kitchen when she heard the can being opened!
j