Not Eating/drinking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
You said you're going to the vet, correct, and you'll be taking your second sick kitty in as well.

You've received some terrific advice already :).

Just in case this comes in helpful;
Sit with your cat and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon and hopefully your kitty will lick it. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek. His response of eating when you broke the pieces of chicken into smaller pieces is making me think that finger/spoon feeding may work.

(You might want to double-check with your vet just to be sure these things below are ok for your kitty).

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making the Pedialyte here;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these, or the KMR and kitten glop recipes that were posted above;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese
Thanks a lot! We're going to see if Frost eats tonight before deciding to take him to the vet though it seems likely. He seems like he might be lethargic now, but it's hard to tell since their kind of lazy. Ash has been to the vet and will probably go back. I hate taking them though.

We'll definitely have to see what he might like from the list. Hopefully he'll eat something. I appreciate the help.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try a calming product, there are sprays that you could use on and in the carrier, and there are calming collars for the kitties.

:vibes::crossfingers: :hugs:
Yeah, I've had multiple products, but only have treats now and that doesn't work if they won't eat them. The third cat could benefit too. She's been lashing out at them.

Good news is Ash is eating. He seems much better all of a sudden. He's still a little picky, but eating more.

Bad news is Frost isn't eating. He'll only eat one kind of treat. We're going to get some KMR and more of the wet food we'r got Ash to eat. Maybe something else to try as well. Frost is already underweight so he doesn't need to loose anymore.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Ash is totally fine now. He ate well this morning and is much perkier. It's weird how drastic the change is when we didn't notice it being quite so drastic when he started feeling ill.

Frost is now not eating. He ate some treats last night, but that's it. And he threw up sometime during the night. We have seen him drinking though. And, of course, the vet is off today. She's supposed to call tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh gosh.
Have you had a chance to try any of the homemade recipes for kitten glop, pedialyte or KMR?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet. We're getting KMR tonight. I'll go through the recipes again and see if we should get anything else. The trouble is I've no idea what could work. He isn't as food motivated as the other two and doesn't care for human food much.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO keeping my fingers crossed for you-all!!
Thank you so much. I appreciate all the advice and support. I hope he gets through this quickly. And I hope we don't have to go through it with Ember next. Though she could do with a little weight loss...

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frost isn't doing well. He went to the very yesterday who gave us cat food and Nutrical. She said he should be eating today, but he isn't. He's under eight pounds. We didn't get the KMR, but we got a different kitten milk. The vet said it would make his diarrhea worse anyway though.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the highlight of your day is your cat eating...

Yes, Frost finally ate. Not a ton. I didn't want to overdo it and him get sick, but I pushed as much as I could because I knew the first couple of days Ash wouldn't eat at meal time. He'd only eat when I first got home. And, sure enough, Frost did the same thing. He took a lot more convincing, but he did eat. However, it's odd because I've given him these treats and he eats the first two or three no problem. Then he starts making a mess, dropping crumbs. Then it increases to bigger pieces and he end up dropping half the treat. And he won't touch what's been in his mouth. He's never made this much of a mess eating treats before. I don't know if it's intention or accidental or what. I mean, I'm happy he's eating, but I worry about another problem. We really can't handle anything else occurring. I'm hoping it's just because he's still not feeling 100%.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Frost seems to be doing well. I think we're finally through this. He tends to eat somewhat small amounts at a time, but will eat relatively often. He wouldn't eat unless I finger fed him at first this morning, but finished the other half of his food on his own later on. He seems to be feeling much better now.

Thanks again for all the advice and support!