Not drinking water??

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed over the past 2 weeks or so that my 4mo kitty has not been drinking any water.  at first i kept thinking that i must just not see him do it, but now that i've been paying attention to it, especially when i'm home all day, he has not touched it...unless he drinks at night???  he is on wet food (99%)  and eats about 2.5 cans of fancy feast a day.  i don't give him a lot of liquid from the can.  he had diarrhea for a long time after we got him and i've been afraid that the liquid might not be a good idea?  he grazes on dry food at night and a snack sometimes (eats maybe a table spoon a day??).  he pees 3-4 times a day and his poop is nice and soft.  (we finally got diarrhea under control after a month of different meds).  i've been reading here that not drinking when on wet food is normal, but when i googled it all sites say water is crucial???  will ask my vet but wanted to get your opinions.  thanks!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Water is crucial, but you have to remember that canned foods are about 78% water. He is getting quite a bit of water in his canned food already. Many cats who are on an all canned or raw diet do not drink additional water. If your cat is peeing 3-4 times a day, I would say he is pretty well hydrated. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply!  That's exactly what i was thinking!  If he is peeing well and his poop is good, he should be fine?  should i let him have the liquid from the can?  I think i read somewhere that it is best not too, or does that only apply to gravy?  I feed him fancy feast kitten and classic (turkey, chicken, liver and started beef).

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you stick to the Classic pates, it's fine to give him the liquid from the can. The gravy and sauce versions contain wheat gluten which you do not want. If you are ever worried about his water intake, you can always add a little extra water to the canned and mix it up well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
got it!  thank you!