Not Covering...

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My cat Rah'Feki won't cover his poop after using the bathroom. When he was younger he use to. But now that he is older he doesn't. I've treated everything. Sand, Wheat, Clay, Rock Like litter. Buying a different litter box. Nothing works. For a year I didn't have him because I couldnt have a cat. So he was mainly an outside cat, outside of my grandmothers house. I was thinking maybe since he was outside that now he's forgotten how to cover the poop? maybe? Does anyone know what could be right... or what I could do? My fiance wants to get rid of him, but I still have hope that he will cover his poop. :-(

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have three kitties and none of them cover their poos. They do cover their pee. I feed a balanced ground raw diet, so their poos don't have any smell to them and are a lot smaller in volume than when I fed canned (just one of the advantages of a raw diet
).

Maybe it's not the litter, but number of litter boxes. Some kitties will pee in one and poo in another. Maybe try that?

Maybe you need to be on poop patrol and cover it for him or scoop as soon as there is poop in the box?

Um, your fiance needs to chill a bit and have compassion for your sweet, older kitty. Is he gonna get rid of you when you get old?

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't cover.  Depending on his age, he may have a bit of arthritis in his paws that makes it more painful to use his paws to cover.  I had a cat who would dig like crazy before doing her thing in the box, do it, then walk away without covering.  Go figure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

Well, yesterday my fiance bought Wheat litter. Rah'Feki used the bathroom && covered it! I'm so happy!! I don't know why wheat litter made him cover it but he did! Oh I really am so happy now. Now I don't have to get rid of him. I just hope he gets along with my Chow Chow puppy I will be getting soon. 

Thank You to everyone that gave comments. 

Last edited:

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. I'd get rid of the other cats before I got rid of him. Shoot, Rah'Feki was around before my fiance was.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. I'd get rid of the other cats before I got rid of him. Shoot, Rah'Feki was around before my fiance was.
I just have to speak out here, and I do not mean to be unkind. When someone takes on the responsibility of kitties (or any furry, feathered, or otherwise) family member, they are not a disposable commodity to be gotten rid of because they don't act or do what we as their human care-givers think they should. They are in our homes to be loved and cared for and given the respect they deserve as living, breathing little beings entrusted to us. I'm so sorry, but this just struck a cord with me, and saddens me so much with this mentality; which is unfortunately somewhat of the norm for a lot of folks that have kitties. All can live in harmony if you're willing to do the sometimes very hard work over a long period of time to ensure this.

Your original postings about Rah'Feki not covering his poo [to me] is such a trivial behavior as most do not cover their poo's. It's a built in, natural ancestral instinct that says, "Hey, I've been here, others take notice!"--it's not because they are lazy or other reason, it is what they do in the wild (including rubbing their cheeks on things and marking with urine [mostly intact males do this]) to let other kitties and critters know that they are putting claim on their perceived territory, even if it is a house cat doing this in the litter box. It's their "wild" ancestral roots coming out. One almost has to "think like a cat" in these situations. If you have any cat/animal behaviorists in your area, I would suggest contacting them, especially since you're going to be adding a new puppy to the mix.

You didn't mention this, but if his poo's have an offensive odor, my suggestion would be to find a better diet for him because his poops should not be all that stinky. Smelly poos are [mostly] diet related, so a better brand of canned food may help with this--kibble/dry food is notorious for producing high-volume, smelly poops, as is cheap, overly processed canned. Like I've said, on a raw diet my kitties poos have virtually no odor at all--and they don't cover them. I know a balanced raw diet isn't for everyone, but switching to a grain-free, real meat canned with minimal carbs can really help. Plus, you would notice smaller stools because his body is using more of the nutrients in the food, as opposed to the food passing through with minimal absorption of the nutrients. In the grand scheme of things, lower quality food actually costs more, because kitty needs to eat more to feel satisfied, and numerous, smelly poops are the end result.

This post is not meant to be a "bashing on iLoveKitties." It is intended with kindness, and to give a little food for thought and hopefully help change thought processes when it comes to kitties. They are so very unique physiologically, emotionally, and behaviorally, with very different needs when compared to humans and dogs.
I hope I didn't upset you or anyone else with this post--it is truly out of an immense love for kitties--from the tips of their cute little noses to the ends of their magnificent tails...and the sometimes quirky behaviors uniquely CAT.

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Too bad there isn't a thumbs down button, eh?
Please don't take what I wrote personally; I truly had the best of intentions to try and help--especially the part about food in case there are smelly poos that are part of the problem.

Maybe I'm a little too sensitive when folks talk about "getting rid of" kitties when there are so many homeless kitties and kitties in shelters in the world.
To me, cats don't get a fair shake like dogs do (and I love doggies too!), so I may come on a bit strong in being an advocate for kitties. They are my

So sorry if I offended you...

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At first I was pee'd off. I even wrote back, but I deleted it. I completely understand about being concerned about the kitties... Thank You. I as well hate seeing all these cats outside my apartment. Its just really hard having 3 adult cats && then having 4 kittens. Thats 7 cats in a one bedroom apartment. My thing is, Rah'Feki is going on 2 years old && him not covering his poop could possiblily be either him showing that he is the Alpha Cat or simply from him being outside for a year he has forgotten how to do it. Now as for the poop smelling, his poop has always smelled. He has a smelly booty. When I first got him && bought kitten premium til now I still get premium. When I buy canned food he tends to have a runny booty. So I dont buy it. And as for the kitties, I can't keep them all. 3 are boys & 1 girl. If I even think of keeping a boy and girl I have to think about them mating when they get older. And with the boy I have to think about him spraying. I am not going thru the spraying process again. Rah'Feki use to spray everything and it was a nasty smell. YUCK. So I wouldnt be able to keep all those cats and pay money to get every single one of them fixed. Thats alot of money that I do not have. Then on top of that, buying so much litter and cat food and then having a puppy and buying him puppy food. Just too much money. Like I said that I do not have. If I lived on a ranch && had lots of money, I would keep every freaking cat or dog or fish or dragon. I am only thinking of them when I do think of "getting rid" of them. They would be better off living with someone who could honestly take care of them to the fullest.

Thats love for kitties.

Thanks For the Help.

Last edited:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I understand better. Thanks so much for clarifying and not staying PO'd at me.

Your best bet if you can't find homes for them, is to take them to a no-kill shelter--they would be responsible for spaying and neutering, etc.

When I rescued Abby and his brother Tuffy (from a cemetery stuck to a headstone in early Winter), when they were old enough to be neutered, my vet gave me a "2 for 1 deal" for my two boys. Maybe talk to your vet about that if you decide to keep two of the babies? There are also low-cost clinics/organizations that will do it a lot less expensively because they are pro-neuter/-spay.

Also, girl kitties that aren't spayed (they are also more susceptible to mammary cancer--and they go into heat a LOT) can also do the spraying; although it is predominately a non-neutered male kitty thing. If one starts, the other will do the same because of the hormones involved when they aren't spayed or neutered.

Big ole
and all the best for you and your sweet bubbies.

P.S. If you would like to go over alternative food brand options to help with the smelly poops, please don't hesitate to ask--I'd be glad to help. Smelly poops means there is something in the food that is not agreeing with him, whether canned or kibble. Also taking into account your budget.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have four cats.  Two are good at covering, and two aren't.  It's just the way some cats are. 

I volunteer at our local shelter, and I have seen the ladies that operate the front desk almost come unglued over some of the excuses people use for bringing in perfectly good animals.  If I recited some of them here, you might start to understand why we say, "The more I work with the shelter animals, the more I love animals, and the less I like people."

But, when a woman brings in a cat she's had for quite a while, and give a reason like, "I'm suddenly allergic to him," or, "He's keeping me awake at night," or, "He suddenly won't use the litter box," the question we usually ask each other is, "I wonder what her new boyfriend's name is, and will he feel the same about a baby?"