Not a significant problem…just question

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my 2 cats likes to roll around on counters. I don’t mind it except she frequently gets very close to the edge and there has been 1 or 2 times where she has kind of plopped off and landed more on her belly than feet. Since seeing that I keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn’t fall off or falls into my hands. I’m a little concerned she will hurt herself if I’m not there, but maybe she only does it around me…no clue. My wife jokes and says she probably doesn’t have 9 lives. It’s more like 4. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you do anything about it? If so what?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine rolls off the end of the sofa, always has. Every time it happens she looks surprised. It's never concerned me but the drop is much less than for your cat. If she does it in the same place, put a cushion or something similar to soften the fall.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably doing the rolling for you but some times they also roll to sort of scratch their back so yes, it may happen when you aren’t there. At one place I lived I had space above my upper cabinets and a cat that rolled and fell off repeatedly, not seeming to learn from the experience. You can discourage counter surfing by using sticky material, tin foil or a mechanical toy that makes noise or sings when it detects motion. Or you can keep and eye on her and set her in the floor when she starts to roll.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracie got her name for something very similar in terms of behavior. She would fall off the bed and off the top of couches, but I think she always landed on her feet, and if she didn't her fall was helped by the fact that she landed on carpeting. If nothing else, I would lay down a soft rug underneath the area where she lays on the counter.

I will also add that Feeby ALWAYS precariously lays on the edge of EVERYTHING she lays on. I cringe - but it has only been recently since she is older (17+ yo) that she has actually ever fallen off of anything. Some cats are unintentionally (maybe) daredevils.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. It’s like she has no spatial awareness. The other day she jumped on top of some boxes. I held the boxes steady so she wouldn’t fall, but then she started rolling on them so I put my hands out ready to catch her if she falls. She doesn’t seem to have a particular place she likes to roll around on. It’s just wherever she can scare me. Haha.