'not A Cat Person' Converter!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone else have a cat that changes the minds of people who proclaim they're "not cat people"? I had a friend over last night and Finn immediately started rubbing up against her and hopped up in her lap. She was so impressed he came when called and said that she's not normally a cat person, but she absolutely loved him and never met a cat like him before. I suspect that a lot of not-cat people just have never met a cat that loves them!

There's nothing better than changing the mind of someone who thinks all cats are aloof and temperamental! And even aloof and temperamental cats have so much charm. <3

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your post! I completely agree with you. People who have no feelings for cats or even dislike them, tend not to know them, and ignore them. Cats then do not feel threatened at all and gravitate towards them because they feel no fear.
I agree with you on changing their minds, some cats may be aloof, etc., but that is because they are instinctively fearful of the unknown, have generations of being persecuted, hurt and killed, and have to be comfortable before they show their true temperaments. I have listened to people say they shoot cats that come on their property, because they dislike them. I always answer, " you know, I don't care for slobbering, smelly dogs either, but I would NEVER shoot one that came on my property, they are probably loved by someone and I don't want that on my soul. The Karma can't be good for something like that"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely agree! I had a "not a cat person" friend comment to me recently -- she had a revelation that she'd never been around a cat that loved her or wanted to be around her, so of course they weren't affectionate or they hid, just as she'd react to some stranger barging into her home. You can appreciate and understand cats without adopting one or while still preferring dogs! I'm just tired of cats being seen as disposable or pests.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't understand why some people hate cats so. I had a lady come up to me, iN MY YARD, with my cats present and tell me, " The only good cat is a dead cat!" For once I was not speechless, I came right back "I don't like yappy little dogs either, that never shut up. Maybe they should be dead too? Although I would never want that for ANY animal." She huffily left, taking her yapping dogs with her. I can't believe people would come up and say something like that to a stranger. I truly believe they just don't want to understand the feline world.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't understand why some people hate cats so. I had a lady come up to me, iN MY YARD, with my cats present and tell me, " The only good cat is a dead cat!" For once I was not speechless, I came right back "I don't like yappy little dogs either, that never shut up. Maybe they should be dead too? Although I would never want that for ANY animal." She huffily left, taking her yapping dogs with her. I can't believe people would come up and say something like that to a stranger. I truly believe they just don't want to understand the feline world.
Haha, best comeback ever. I personally don't like dogs, except for German Shepards and Border Collies, and the little yappy ones are just... no thank you.

There's this one person I know who says cats are useless, not affectionate and so on. I've gotten so mad at them I've yelled at them. Cats hunt mice, mine will start purring if you so much s touch them, and they will eat dead flies off the floor. So yeah, they are so useless and unfriendly. Ugh.

Meanwhile dogs eat their own poop. How useful.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That phrase is a take off of what they used to say about Native Americans (Indians) because that was the sentiment of many in the early days of the country. But not NA only, it extended to many things like wolves and buffalo and passenger pigeons. When some of those were finally wiped out it was discovered it was a pretty stupid thing to do. So some people have learned from the countless mistakes in the past but for some others there just doesn't appear to be any cure for "stupid." Maybe the final cure for haveing to many stupid people is to apply that sentiment but with a twist. "Make America smart again, support TNR for stupid people, it works for cats!"

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother in law (who is DEFINITELY not a cat person), looked at Keith one day and said "That cat has evil eyes!" I responded with "They only look like that when he's looking at YOU."

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat I had growing up was a lover. My parents owned a bed and breakfast and we had many people stay who said they didn’t like cats leave converted thanks to Garfield. He seemed to know when people would not like cats and jump in their laps immediately. I remember one lady completely freaking out screaming because he jumped in her lap. She left a few days later saying that cats were wonderful and she never realized it.