Nose Touch And Hiss

ChocolateCello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. One is an older female who has been around for awhile. One is a younger male who we just got in recent years. The female has always been territorial but she's come to tolerate our younger cat.
The younger cat is very playful and likes to play-chase and pounce at our older cat who doesn't appreciate the gesture.
Recently they've been touching noses (saying hi), and then the female hisses and runs away. Sometimes the younger male chases her when she does this. Sometimes he walks off.
Any particular reason for this behavior? Why does she seem to offer a friendly greeting but quickly change her mind?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol.. im an older female sometimes i get cranky too, good thing i cannot hiss.. As long as they are not fighting i think your ok. my two boys are big goofs, they play hard together and never fight. the girls play with them some, they like to play chase but they don't like to wrestle with the bigger guys. sometimes the little girls have to put the boys in their place. :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sort of a “oh, it’s you and don’t think I like you” kind of a gesture. Not uncommon between an older resident cat and a newcomer upstart kitten. As long as all out fighting doesn’t break out you don’t need to step in and over time they will sort it out and come to an understanding.