Norwegian Forest Cat or Siberian? Help me out!

jayavera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, before I start, I'll give a little details. She's a four year old female whom a friend of mine gave to me as she rescued as cat from the streets, who resembled a very lithe, glossy Norwegian Cat (or perhaps even a Siberian) who had kittens. She gave me one of the kittens and what started off as a little fuzzy, four pound ball, has turned into a 27lb, nearly 30 inches long feline who looks fat when she's fluffy, and then you shave her down and it's a smooth, no belly, straight line of muscle. 

Some things you may not be able to see in the photos: 

She has thick tufts of fur between her toes on all four paws. Before she was shaved (for even though we brush her religiously she always mats and needs to be shaved once a year around summer time) she has a very fluffy, feathery tail. She has long tufts of fur coming out of her ears, an angular face and as VERY distinctive arch in her back when she walks, as if her back legs were longer than her front. She always looks a bit like a folded slinky when she walks. 

Here are some pictures of her!

And here! Bonus of my pure bred cornish rex baby called Kiwi that I rescued from a breeding house not long ago who's the tiny, 4lb companion to this giant bear called Simba the Queen, and despite a few medical conditions (due to the conditions of the breeding house) she's got a heart as huge as a lion's. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayavera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Also I recognize my fluffy cat may not be pure bred! I just wish to know what she most closely resembles. I know she's definitely not maine coon as so many people try to tell me. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of the two breeds mentioned, she isnt not norwegian. They do have much more triangularish head and face.  So, it remains, either a siberian, or a maine coon-alike after all.  And being that big, has probably at least some ancestry.

Yes, siberians can too be quite big.

But why are you excluding MCO-ancestry?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Btw, you know she is a calico? not immediately visible with all that long fur, but seeing the black places, I come onto the trace...

Being also a tabby, that will make into patched tabby, I think its called.

Last edited: