Norwegian Forest Cat ending up in my backyard, as a canadian?

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have lived in canada for quite a few years and in January of 2022 I found a cat in my backyard, I left out food and water for him and he began to trust me. I opened my backyard door and he came in, I was adopting it. It is a beautiful orange and white cat with a very thick coat, I had to shave matted parts of his coat, I gave him a bath and he was all good. I expected him to be a bit more feral towards me as he was a stray. (We got him checked for a microchip at the vet and there was none.) He was instead very gentle and sweet. I was curious what breed he was and ended up using google lens on him. It popped up with "Norwegian Forest Cat" I did some research and he looked exactly like one. I then read and realized Norwegian Forest Cats are in Europe. Why was this cat in my backyard? (I'm not complaing as I love him very much and he trusts me a lot)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats can look very much like a certain breed, but they usually aren't. Do you have a photo for us?
How lovely that you've found yourself a beautiful new friend who will be ever so grateful for a safe and loving home.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why was this cat in my backyard?
That breed has that name because it is thought to have originated in the forests of Norway, but they are now in many places. Just as Maine Coon cats (whom they resemble) aren't only found in Maine. I have a rescue cat who is probably part NFC, judging from his large size, perfectly triangular shaped face, and long, thick coat. He, too, is a gentle giant. Does your lovely boy have long wisps of fur between his toes? That's another trait of the NFC.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That breed has that name because it is thought to have originated in the forests of Norway, but they are now in many places. Just as Maine Coon cats (whom they resemble) aren't only found in Maine. I have a rescue cat who is probably part NFC, judging from his large size, perfectly triangular shaped face, and long, thick coat. He, too, is a gentle giant. Does your lovely boy have long wisps of fur between his toes? That's another trait of the NFC.
He seems to have some fur in between his toes? Not sure if it’s exactly long or not.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is a beautiful cat and you are very kind to have given him a home. A close friend rescued what "appeared" to be a NFC from a tree in Pasadena, CA years ago and I rescued one of my heart cats, Zoe, from a feral colony in Los Angeles. She greatly resembled a Turkish Van in all respects but it was highly unlikely that she was.

This is a very happy story of how you found each other and he looks so happy in your picture.

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a beautiful cat and you are very kind to have given him a home. A close friend rescued what "appeared" to be a NFC from a tree in Pasadena, CA years ago and I rescued one of my heart cats, Zoe, from a feral colony in Los Angeles. She greatly resembled a Turkish Van in all respects but it was highly unlikely that she was.

This is a very happy story of how you found each other and he looks so happy in your picture.
Thank you!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go look at this wegie breeders pics at insta (#norwegianshillcats) , gorgeous kitties. His nose looks like it has the straight line like many nfc have with not a lot of prominance in the forehead compared to MC and Siberians. So I would say dlh but nfc look a like on that part.
He is a love and very beautiful whatever he is ❤ You won the lottery😻 thanks for saving him 💓 forest cats are the best😀

ED4AC3FB-7244-41AB-8EBA-01779EF2CC16.png

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go look at this wegie breeders pics at insta (#norwegianshillcats) , gorgeous kitties. His nose looks like it has the straight line like many nfc have with not a lot of prominance in the forehead compared to MC and Siberians. So I would say dlh but nfc look a like on that part.
He is a love and very beautiful whatever he is ❤ You won the lottery😻 thanks for saving him 💓 forest cats are the best😀

View attachment 413886
Aw thank you!