Norms Ear Seems To Bother Him?

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My lovely Norm keeps constantly cleaning and fiddling with his right ear.After cleaning or if I touch his ear he shakes his head violently.Norm came from Washington DC,USA under a year ago and he was a feral rescue cat and I know feral cats get ticks and ear lice but he was checked and cleared 3/4 times in America for live,ticks and infection.As often with neutered feral cats one of his ears was clipped to denote he was neutered but the clipped ear is fine.Ive checked his ear several times and put special ear drops in but all I can see is some darkish wax which I know most cats get?A friend suggested to me that years ago when he was rescued he may have had a serious ear lice/tick problem and he does it out of habit? Any suggestions as to next course of action?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a yeast infection. One of my cats was the same way. In his case it turned out to be a food allergy, he had developed an allergy to chicken. The vet looked at some of the gunk out of his ears under a microscope and could tell that it was a yeast infection. She gave some thick sticky drops to put in his ears that cleared it up.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a yeast infection. One of my cats was the same way. In his case it turned out to be a food allergy, he had developed an allergy to chicken. The vet looked at some of the gunk out of his ears under a microscope and could tell that it was a yeast infection. She gave some thick sticky drops to put in his ears that cleared it up.
:yeah:

The vet prescribed some drops for our cat, too, which did help to help provide some relief from the inflammation and itchiness. Now we're working on trying to address the underlying cause, i.e., the suspected chicken allergy. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He only eats dry biscuits with plenty of fresh water.He has never had human food scraps or treats - won't even try a dreamie.Thankyou both for your input and suggestions - I think I will ring the vet in morning and see what she has to say

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just looked at his IAMS cat biscuits- chicken based! You've got me thinking but why only in the one ear???

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just looked at his IAMS cat biscuits- chicken based! You've got me thinking but why only in the one ear???
Well, for what it's worth, our cat's ear problems started with just one ear. I don't remember how long it took for the other ear to become affected as well.

Of course, I'm just guessing based on my own humble experience, and your cat's problem could very well be something else.

Please let us know what your vet says. :)