Normally Sedate 10yr Cat Been Very Active All Day. Very Unusual??

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 yr old kitty has the same daily routine...he sleeps from around 8am, (when I get up) until around 4pm when he gets up, eats, etc..we play together..sometimes he goes back to his kitty bed for a few hours, gets up again..and when I go to bed around 11pm, he sleeps next to me in his kitty bed..but gets up and down thru the night, looking at animals outside, then comes back and sleeps a bit more..you get the idea. At least that is how it’s been all winter, except TODAY...When I went shopping he was asleep...but 2 hrs later I returned, and he was meowing, and bouncing around purring and eating but insisting on every room being unclosed so he could explore in depth.He wanted to be petted, but not cuddle...this is SO unusual for him...I was wondering, if Yesterday’s STESS from me affected him..we were under hail storms, and tornado watches, and there was a HUGE storm last night, and the wind is STILL causing rattling and bumping..and he goes from window to window..finally he settled down in another bedroom...
It is also much warmer today...and I was thinking it felt nicer on his paws..not cold..and after reading what I typed, I think I answered my own question. It was probably the storm, andmy fear, etc that caused the complete 180 in his behavior.
Any input will much appreciated. Thanks.
Rudy’s Mom

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'll have to admit, my boy usually gets "fired up" before storms (he's almost 14) but I think you're exactly right.
Bless your heart for listening to him, opening doors, walking with him :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Well, my actions before the storms weren’t normal either...I was vacuuming out the storm shelter, re-packing a small backpack I keep ready in case we’re ever stuck inside it, as it was supposed to be at midnight..so I tossed items, like a bra (lol) his good, made sure all the flashlight & radio batteries were working..his food etc..cuz I HATE these warnings..it didn,t come until 3am, we both woke to nickel sized hail pounding the house, wind so bad etc...thunder etc..so I must have really frightened Rudy with MY fears and preparation.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for being so prepared! I was surprised at how much hail there was last night. Super loud.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably was just the approaching storm or even the coming of Spring which can make cats of any age squirrely but I would still keep an eye on his behavior in the coming weeks. If he still is unusually active I would have the vet run bloodwork to check his thyroid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THankyou all for your replies. “Squirrely” is kinda the perfect word. He was up all night, bugging me for attention, still wanting to go into the now closed rooms..but I have cactus plants on some shelf’s for the winter, and I fear he will somehow injure himself..so I held my ground. This morning, he is conked out, soundly sleeping. I, too slept much longer last night..I HATE the time change!