Normal Weight For Male Vs Female Kittens

CookieJoL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two littermates- 1 male, 1 female that are now 8 months old. I'm privileged to have knowledge of their parents. The father was a stocky medium haired cat who when very skinny and underweight weighed in at 12lb when rescued. The mother is tiny- maybe 7lb.

Currently the female kitten is 8.2lb. She is tiny, but solid. The male is 8.4lb. He's larger than the female, physically and built differently, but feels so light comparatively. Both are thriving- but I'm concerned that the male weighs too little or the female weighs too much.

I have two other (adult) cats- a fit 15lb male and an obese 12lb female, so my perspective of what's "normal" may be way off.

Should I take them to the vet (which they hate) or wait/weight it out?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, at this point I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as they seem healthy and don't appear either too thin or too thick :wink:. they could be taking after their mother.

That being said, they'll need to go for a Vet visit at around one year anyway, won't they...for their annual exam. Whether they like it or not, they need to get used to going, for their own good. I have one who hates it, but he still has to go. He growls at them every time, but as he snuggled up against me :lol:. He's all roar and no bite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieJoL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally, at this point I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as they seem healthy and don't appear either too thin or too thick :wink:. they could be taking after their mother.

That being said, they'll need to go for a Vet visit at around one year anyway, won't they...for their annual exam. Whether they like it or not, they need to get used to going, for their own good. I have one who hates it, but he still has to go. He growls at them every time, but as he snuggled up against me :lol:. He's all roar and no bite.
Thanks for your response. Oh yes- they've been to the vet many times. They were born of a feral cat, set to be euthanized by the local shelter for being surrendered with an FIV+ cat and had several rounds of worms including tape worms all before they were 3 months. They are healthy now (and vaccinated, spayed/neutered), but I still worry and it's 4 whole months until that appointment. However their feral beginnings show through the moment you pull out a carrier, so unless I have more reason to be worried I'll wait. Thanks again.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What I do as far as prepping for a Vet visit is set the carriers out a day or two ahead of time and open the doors. I find my two will actually go in there and sleep, the goofs! Of course, I put a T-shirt I have just worn, or one my hubby has recently worn in there on top of a towel, to make it welcoming.

If I pull out the carriers and immediately try to stuff them in,they run like heck :lol: