Normal neutering or pyometra surgery?

thecatbeginner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with open-pyometra 3 months ago. The vet gave me antibiotics and anti-flamming and 1 week after that, her discharge was gone. Currently, she's active and eating and drinking well. I want to neuter her but will the cost be the same as a cat who has pyometra or will it be just like a normal cat neutering since she's doing well?

(English isn't my first language)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not certain. I would suggest asking your vet. But it will certainly take care of the issue, once and for all, and even if more expensive, will cost less in the long run.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat had pyometra surgery last month and the cost was substantially higher than what it would've been for a regular neutering procedure. The circumstances were slightly different (ours had the surgery immediately whilst the uterus was still inflamed and leaking, which is presumably what increased the cost, as the surgery was more sensitive), but I would still expect the cost to be higher. But definitely ask your vet, as like I said the circumstances were a bit different so it may vary for you.

Whatever the cost is, seriously consider having it done. Our cat has had a new lease of life since having it done and it honestly is a major relief knowing that it can never recur again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am also going to guess that the pyometra surgery will be priced as a specialized surgery whereas spaying is usually priced lower as a routine procedure. However, I also urge you to proceed with this and resolve the issue once and for all for the sake of your cat.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with open-pyometra 3 months ago. The vet gave me antibiotics and anti-flamming and 1 week after that, her discharge was gone. Currently, she's active and eating and drinking well. I want to neuter her but will the cost be the same as a cat who has pyometra or will it be just like a normal cat neutering since she's doing well?

(English isn't my first language)
Welcome to the forum TCB. What is your cat's name?

Thanks for noting English is not your first language. The first thing you need to know on a cat forum is "neuter' is specifically for males; in female cats it is a "spay" surgery. The words can't be mixed up because they are totally different surgeries. Also flamming should be inflammatory because the drug treats inflammation.

With that out of the way, I think if the spay is normal you will not see a price difference. It will be more expensive if something different must be done, not just a routine procedure.

Last edited:

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first thing you need to know on a cat forum is "neuter' is specifically for males; in female cats it is a "spay" surgery.
Actually, this is a common misconception. Neuter is an umbrella term that refers to both male and female desexing, while the specific terms are castrate and spey/spay, for males and females respectively.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Neuter" became more typically for males because so many human males went pale when they heard "castration." It's a "kinder" word, and is now almost ubiquitous. Yes, that's really true.