Normal for black and white cat to have blue eyes?

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This kitten is 4 months old. I am told that if his eyes were not going to be blue they would have started to change a long time ago, usually at 8 weeks is when they start. We know for %100 fact that he is 4 months old.

I have never seen a black and white cat with blue eyes. Is this normal? I can't even find a Google image of a black and white cat with blue eyes.

Also he is definitely a smoke (if u don't know what that means, it's when the base of a cats black fur is completely shaded white).

Can being a smoke cat have something to do with it?

Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not common, even rare. But its not forbidden to have blue eyes. This happens now and then. You dont need to be no siamese nor point for this.  Just look on the Oyes Lazure breed, whom surely were created on the base of some natural occuring blue eyed cats.

Oyes Lazure means literally blue eyes.

So he is black and white with blue eyes, or tuxedo with blue eyes.  The body is a little lighter than head and tail.  You say its smoke - but there is a shade of suspiction - imagine if he is really a point?   This wont solve the riddle, because its still an unusual point looks.  Why change one riddle into another one??

Edit. Im not fully sure on the spelling of this breed, but its of course NOT "eyes" - sooner Oyes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't think he's a point if I had a picture of the side of his body you can clearly see he is a smoke. There is a lot of white shading under his black fur.

The eyes lazure breed sounds cool but are u sure u have the name right? When I type it in Google I don't see anything

Also are blue eyes dominant? Like do they pass down? Because neither of his parents have blue eyes

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't think he's a point if I had a picture of the side of his body you can clearly see he is a smoke. There is a lot of white shading under his black fur.

The eyes lazure breed sounds cool but are u sure u have the name right? When I type it in Google I don't see anything

Also are blue eyes dominant? Like do they pass down? Because neither of his parents have blue eyes
Nay, Im not sure of the spelling -  and I have a strong feeling it was NOT spelled as Eyes...

No, blue is verry recessive color.  With humans its recessive too, although in some countries its that commonly spread many people there are blue eyed.

Susan Dancer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The breed is spelled Ojos Azul. I know this is an old post but I came upon it online when I was searching for information on unusual blue eyed cats. A local veterinarian tried to reestablish this breed years ago but abandoned the program when too many dwarfs were produced.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone has bred Ojos Azules for many years. There are other dominant blue eye breeds (and bloodlines within breeds) that are currently in development, mostly using the mutation known variously as "Altai" or "Topaz" (different from the Ojos Azules mutation).

However, blue eyes can also be a result of ordinary white spotting... so in the case of the original cat in this thread, there is not really any need to bring in a rare gene to explain the blue eyes. The white spotting gene is sufficient in itself.