Normal Behavior Or Aggression?

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had our little 11 week old kitten for 3 weeks named Meatball and I have had my older cat Sylvie for 14 years. Sylvie has always had other cat friends and it one of the most loving cuddly cats I have ever had/seen. MEATBALL is a cuddler too but being a kitten always playful. We keep them seperated at night and while we are gone but sometimes while they are together MEATBALL will try to play fight Sylvie and she sometimes growls/hisses and runs but lately she has been flipping him over and biting his stomach and paw then licking where she bit. I wouldn't be worried but he whimpers the whole time she does this and tries to fight her off. Is she just teaching him manners or being aggressive? They also are fine sleeping/eating next to each other.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is just playing with him. A light nip and then a lick is a sign of affection, so I think she is taking a liking to the little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't seem like a light nip. She starts with licks then he fights it and she bites, what seems like, pretty hard. Enough to make the little one whimper and meow

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like she might be putting him in his place...
"Look, ya little whipper-snapper, I might not be a spring kitten, but I ain't too old to teach you some manners!"

Animals don't think like we do, about morality or psychological repercussions. They are much more... direct. Even so, they still have social rules, and penance for breaking those rules can run from low warnings to more physical lessons. However, if the physical lessons continue for too long, or seem to get too far out of hand (drawing blood), it may be time for the human to step in, separate, and arbitrate. Time outs work for almost any animal (including humans :crazy:).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might also be her claiming dominance. My punk licks his brother's head like he is going to be all friendly, then wraps his arm over his neck/shoulders and nips him. I agree though, if blood isn't being drawn or there isn't yowling, I would let it play out. He could also be complaining because she wants to mother him, he wants to run around so she gives him a hold still nip?

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So meatball turned 12 weeks today and he is getting a long better each day with my Sylvie. I always see them sleeping together after periods of "play". I'm wondering, however, about something else. My fiance and I have to sleep in different rooms now because he is so needy. If we let him sleep with both of us he tries to attack Sylvie all night long. How long should we keep them seperated at night and when will he be okay on his own? He currently meows non-stop and I know I shouldn't go to him when he does but I don't wanna make the neighbors angry:(.

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might also be her claiming dominance. My punk licks his brother's head like he is going to be all friendly, then wraps his arm over his neck/shoulders and nips him. I agree though, if blood isn't being drawn or there isn't yowling, I would let it play out. He could also be complaining because she wants to mother him, he wants to run around so she gives him a hold still nip?
Today my sylvie seemed like she wanted to kill meatball. He started bitimg her ear and then she grabbed him and started rabbit kicking him with claws out and ears back and kept biting really hard. I seperated them and her tail fluffed and she chased him, pinned him and started biting his neck while he screamed. They are in separate rooms and he is wanting to get back to her l, I assume to "play?"

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Today my sylvie seemed like she wanted to kill meatball. He started bitimg her ear and then she grabbed him and started rabbit kicking him with claws out and ears back and kept biting really hard. I seperated them and her tail fluffed and she chased him, pinned him and started biting his neck while he screamed. They are in separate rooms and he is wanting to get back to her l, I assume to "play?"
Yes, they were both playing.