Normal Adjustment Period Or Something More Serious?

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a 4-5 month old kitten I picked up from the shelter two weeks ago. Completely dewormed, vaccinated, and spayed. I have been feeding him raw chicken, supplemented with Better In The Raw as per instructions that came with the packet. He likes it, but it has been two weeks and his stools are still long and moist. I added half a capsule of Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, and it seems to have helped a little: no odor, and he didn't meow before pooping.

My question is, how worried should I be about the abnormal stool? In terms of behavior, he seems like a normal kitten. Very energetic and affectionate. A couple of times he has let out a lower tone meow before eliminating, but it was mild and not as dramatic as when he begs for food. Should I try a different pre-mix or different kind of meat altogether. Thanks in advanced for your advice.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s only been a couple weeks, so he’s probably still adjusting to both the new diet and living situation.

It sounds like the usual soft, voluminous stool from the standard cat food diet, not diarrhea.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I had never heard of this brand but my friend in Canada was looking for something like this cause she doesn’t have access to Alnutrition or ezcomplete. Thanks for posting about it!

As for your kitty’s poop, I would continue to give some probiotics and some time. As long as your kitty is otherwise happy and acting normal I think it’s okay to wait it out. The powder may have some ingredients that your cat isn’t used to yet. Did you introduce the raw food slowly or all at once? Kittens have especially sensitive digestive tracts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I had never heard of this brand but my friend in Canada was looking for something like this cause she doesn’t have access to Alnutrition or ezcomplete. Thanks for posting about it!

As for your kitty’s poop, I would continue to give some probiotics and some time. As long as your kitty is otherwise happy and acting normal I think it’s okay to wait it out. The powder may have some ingredients that your cat isn’t used to yet. Did you introduce the raw food slowly or all at once? Kittens have especially sensitive digestive tracts.
Well, the shelter didn't tell me what kind of food they were feeding him. I've read a lot of testimony that suggests that even changing the brand of kibble can often cause digestive problems, so I basically said '**** it' and just fed raw from Day 1.

I will continue the probiotics over the next week, and report back the results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, an update as promised.

The loose stools and flatulence continued, even with the probiotic first the first several days. So to simplify things, I stopped feeding the Better in the Raw ground mix - which was for use with meat ground without bone - and started feeding him cuts of fresh meat for a few days. Mostly gizzards, chicken wings, and beef liver. He took to it instantly, and his litter box problems were resolved in a couple of days.

I think this is because of the introduced bone content from the wings, but I know that other people have been able to feed their cats boneless ground mixes without problem. Whatever the reason, I think I will buy a kitchen scale and just switch to Prey Model since he has no problems chewing or anything.