Norfolk Pine?

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a mini one as a Christmas tree, I've read conflicting information online, some say it can potentially be fatal, but ASPCA website says it's non toxic, I'm assuming I should go with that answer? I just don't want any accidents due to misinformation.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one for years and had no problems. Common sense should prevail - no matter if a plant is non toxic, a cat should not be chewing on them since it will cause them to vomit. Pines are prickly so it would follow it would cause skin irritation. It does with me at work (we sell house plants).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a huge one around cats for years with no problems. It states it is moderately toxic to cats, causing vomiting, pale gums and lowered body temp. so not as toxic/fatal as some. One thing to watch is not let the drained water stand beneath the plants, it can pick up toxins too. I think the texture of the pine are not as interesting to cats, I never saw one nibble, although they did swat at it once in a while. I have had many cats around plants all my life and have never had a problem, but I think some cats are just more prone to eating plants then others. Just be observant. I have had to put bigger pebbles on top the soil to discourage digging, and you could spray the plant with something bitter to discourage nibbling.