Nooo. We've Got Fleas

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like our foster cat took in a few unwanted guests with her despite her owner religiously treating her with Frontline Plus. Seems the fleas have become resistant to Fipronil which is in Frontline and several other flea treatments. We used a different brand (same ingredients) and it burnt the back of poor Otto's neck. It's healing up now so will not be using anything with Fipronil in it again.

I've ordered Advantage for all the cats as the ingredients are different and I've read good reports about it. Should be arriving tomorrow or Friday

It's so annoying as my cats have been flea free for years but we will deal with the little horrors.

Fleas. Prepare to meet thy doom!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember treating the cats is only a small part of a flea problem.

You must also:

1. Wash and vacuum any soft surface at a flea jumping (or cat jumping) height.
2. Laundry. So much laundry!
3. Treat the premises indoors, outdoors, and your vehicles as you, the human, may be transporting fleas into your cars and back again into the home. Make sure you use something with an IGR to prevent the other life stages from maturing to adults.
4. Vacuum. Vacuum. Vacuum. Everyday. Because the noise and vibration is going to wake sleeping larvae and it's adults that are killed by the vacuum. Better to wake the larvae inside the vacuum than on a person or cat.

Skip the diatomaceous earth, essential oils, and other natural flea control. These are usually more irritating to people and cats than they are to fleas, especially since they do nothing for the other life stages.

Flea control can take up to a month of repeating the steps above in addition to whatever flea control you use on the cats themselves.

So much here if you (or anyone else coming to this thread) needs more information and product selection guidance:
FleaScience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember treating the cats is only a small part of a flea problem.

You must also:

1. Wash and vacuum any soft surface at a flea jumping (or cat jumping) height.
2. Laundry. So much laundry!
3. Treat the premises indoors, outdoors, and your vehicles as you, the human, may be transporting fleas into your cars and back again into the home. Make sure you use something with an IGR to prevent the other life stages from maturing to adults.
4. Vacuum. Vacuum. Vacuum. Everyday. Because the noise and vibration is going to wake sleeping larvae and it's adults that are killed by the vacuum. Better to wake the larvae inside the vacuum than on a person or cat.

Skip the diatomaceous earth, essential oils, and other natural flea control. These are usually more irritating to people and cats than they are to fleas, especially since they do nothing for the other life stages.

Flea control can take up to a month of repeating the steps above in addition to whatever flea control you use on the cats themselves.

So much here if you (or anyone else coming to this thread) needs more information and product selection guidance:
FleaScience
I've kept cats for over 40 years and know how to deal with the little horrors. Hate them. If I get bitten (haven't yet) the bites cause a bad reaction and don't clear up for about 3 weeks. I feel sorry for cats with flea allergies. The vacuum is the fleas' worst enemy. Also use Indorex (don't know what it would be called in America or other countries). You spray it on furnishings, carpets, curtains/drapes and anywhere the cats sleep, paying particular attention round the edge of the room and corners as the fleas like to hide there. Kills fleas hiding in these areas and stops any larvae in the carpet/soft furnishings from developing. It's really good stuff. You only have to use it twice a year.

I don't have a car at the moment BUT I'm getting a new one on Friday :biggrin:

War has been declared!

PS. I have to be careful with essential oils or anything perfumed as I'm an asthmatic. So-called natural flea control doesn't work. Heard about diatomaceous earth but not convinced that's a good thing.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've kept cats for over 40 years and know how to deal with the little horrors. Hate them. If I get bitten (haven't yet) the bites cause a bad reaction and don't clear up for about 3 weeks. I feel sorry for cats with flea allergies. The vacuum is the fleas' worst enemy. Also use Indorex (don't know what it would be called in America or other countries). You spray it on furnishings, carpets, curtains/drapes and anywhere the cats sleep, paying particular attention round the edge of the room and corners as the fleas like to hide there. Kills fleas hiding in these areas and stops any larvae in the carpet/soft furnishings from developing. It's really good stuff. You only have to use it twice a year.

War has been declared!

PS. I have to be careful with essential oils or anything perfumed as I'm an asthmatic. So-called natural flea control doesn't work. Heard about diatomaceous earth but not convinced that's a good thing.
Diatomaceous earth, the only thing it did for me was aggressively dry out mine and the cat’s skin/coat. Didn’t do anything for the fleas. Skip it!

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

War has been declared!

I have a vet who is extremely holistic, and even they have said that they have not found any natural flea control that actually works.
I will use some natural products on certain areas (yard, carpeted areas) as a prevention, but if the fleas are there, I don't think they do much. I did not like DE indoors. It was dusty, dirty, and I wouldn't use it around any living thing that's asthmatic or has any lung condition.
I have treated with Advantage before and I have not had problems. I do not like Frontline as I don't think it works as well. I prefer things like Advantage because it's been around forever, is tried and true, and I've used "new" stuff on the market (mostly on dogs) that proved to be a huge mistake. I do not treat anyone who is sick or debilitated or has had reactions in the past, but attack them with a flea comb twice a day (plus baths if they're tolerant) and vacuum a lot. And as others have said...laundry.
The only upside to knowing there are fleas in your house is if you vacuum religiously, you'll marvel at what having a hair free house feels like!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Flea resistance happens. Around here, Advantage has been less successful for some, although where you are it is probably still working just fine. I prefer Advantage, having said all that, because I have never had a problem with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Around here, Advantage has been less successful for some
Ditto for Advantage II here in FL, not very effective. But I will tell you it is a bit more effective than Frontline Plus which I just switched to and Feeby's fleas are worse than they ever were with Adv. Sadly, those two brands - and the generic versions of them as well - are about the only ones that don't enter into the bloodstream. Nowadays most of these treatments also contain an isoxazaline class of pesticide that is newer but has been tied to neurological issues in some cats (Revolution Plus and Bravecto, to name the most common ones). The only other one I know of that does not enter the bloodstream - but all kinds of people on this site a few years back had bad things to say about - is Cheristen. But it also does not contain an IGR which is what is used to prevent larvae and eggs from developing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ditto for Advantage II here in FL, not very effective. But I will tell you it is a bit more effective than Frontline Plus which I just switched to and Feeby's fleas are worse than they ever were with Adv. Sadly, those two brands - and the generic versions of them as well - are about the only ones that don't enter into the bloodstream. Nowadays most of these treatments also contain an isoxazaline class of pesticide that is newer but has been tied to neurological issues in some cats (Revolution Plus and Bravecto, to name the most common ones). The only other one I know of that does not enter the bloodstream - but all kinds of people on this site a few years back had bad things to say about - is Cheristen. But it also does not contain an IGR which is what is used to prevent larvae and eggs from developing.
When we first got Kira she was literally moving with fleas and sores because of it. That was a job for the vet and as soon as they opened in the morning that's where she went. She was given a Comfortis pill (I think it's called Capstar in America) which worked like magic. Seemingly, that's now been discontinued here in favour of something else.

I'm still waiting for my order of the Advantage plus a large bag of cat litter to arrive. For some strange reason, it hasn't left the supplier's warehouse yet :dunno: I have to collect my new car tomorrow so if nothing's forthcoming I'll try and contact them before I leave to collect the car which is 50 miles away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was given a Comfortis pill (I think it's called Capstar in America) which worked like magic. Seemingly, that's now been discontinued here in favour of something else.
Yeah, those products are taken orally, and work immediately on adult fleas, but must be given routinely and have no effect on flea larvae or eggs. I am sure they have lost favor to topicals that are supposed to work for at least a month (or, more) and can purportedly disrupt the lifecycle of pre-adult fleas.

Good luck with Adv - and your car!!!!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, those products are taken orally, and work immediately on adult fleas, but must be given routinely and have no effect on flea larvae or eggs. I am sure they have lost favor to topicals that are supposed to work for at least a month (or, more) and can purportedly disrupt the lifecycle of pre-adult fleas.

Good luck with Adv - and your car!!!!
Where in Florida are you? I’ll be there again this winter and I had an awful time with fleas last year. I’m already starting treatment on my cats. Do you have your place sprayed? Inside or outside?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where in Florida are you? I’ll be there again this winter and I had an awful time with fleas last year. I’m already starting treatment on my cats. Do you have your place sprayed? Inside or outside?
Central Florida - Seminole/Orange County. I spray inside the house and the outside myself, so I can control the frequency. I love that so many people here on this site think that in addition to the spraying, along with regular vacuuming, hot water cleaning of all items that can be washed, and hot dryer settings of all items that cannot be washed, as well as flea combing/treating the cat is enough to eradicate the fleas - it is not.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Central Florida - Seminole/Orange County. I spray inside the house and the outside myself, so I can control the frequency. I love that so many people here on this site think that in addition to the spraying, along with regular vacuuming, hot water cleaning of all items that can be washed, and hot dryer settings of all items that cannot be washed, as well as flea combing/treating the cat is enough to eradicate the fleas - it is not.
I’m hoping that I don’t end up with them again so I want to be prepared. What do you spray inside?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Precor 2000 2-3 times a year (although the instructions say it stays 'active' for about 7 months) and also Adams Flea & Tick Home Spray for interim sprays on things like entry way rugs.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Precor 2000 2-3 times a year (although the instructions say it stays 'active' for about 7 months) and also Adams Flea & Tick Home Spray for interim sprays on things like entry way rugs.
Thank you! I am going to buy that and have my parents spray my place a few weeks before I get to Florida since the house will be empty . That way it gives it time to dry and stuff before I get there with my cats

the lady I purchased my new house from rescues cats and she’s had a lot of animals in and out that have had and been treated for fleas. I’m trying to be proactive this year so I don’t end up with 4 cats with fleas and then worms again….