Nook

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I'm looking at Nooks and Kindles and what not (not necessarily going to buy one because I really like the concept of reading an actual book), but I can see they do have some advantages. One thing I can't seem to figure out from the reviews - how does it work? Do you have to subscribe to some internet service after you buy the device? If not, and you don't have wi fi, how do you get your books? If I do decide to fork over some cash to buy one of these, I really don't want to have to then subscribe to an internet or wi fi service so I can use it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I believe you go to Amazon.com and purchase/download the book you want. If you don't have wi-fi, you can go to the bookstore or any other place that has it and Download.

I was thinking of getting one, but I like to read in the tub and that isn't quite feesable! lol

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Kindle for my husband. He loves it. He usually goes to sleep reading - the Kindle turns off in 10 minutes - it never loses your place.

Yes you need an internet connection - the Kindle downloads the books from Amazon to the Kindle wirelessly. No subscription to Amazon for the service - but you do have to buy the books.

The books are stored in your Amazon Library - and you can share them. There are a lot of books that are out of copyright and are free. You can have the Kindle read the book to you.

The books you buy, you'll be able to read from your phone, computer, etc..

If your library has a wireless connection - maybe you can download the book at the library ?? or someplace that you have access to a free wireless connection? You'll be able to check out books at your public libraries sometime this year. (2011)

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...sa_menu_kdp3w3

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
or you can just get the iPad and download the kindle application, along with internet, games, and so forth!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Kindle and it was easy to find free Wi-Fi places to download books....which takes just seconds. It took me longer to decide what I wanted to buy than it did to download it. I now have wi-fi at home, but I have been behaving myself. I'm trying to plow through "Land Of The Painted Caves" and having a hard time. I've loved the series up until now, this ones seems to be spinning it's wheels.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

I was thinking of getting one, but I like to read in the tub and that isn't quite feesable! lol
I read my Kobo in the tub almost every night and haven't had an issue yet!

I LOVE my Kobo, and I was very unsure of it at first as well, but I was running out of room for books.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

or you can just get the iPad and download the kindle application, along with internet, games, and so forth!
This- plus the Nook app, the Kobo app, AND iBooks.
I
my iPad!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the Nook, and live in a country where the B&N store isn't really supported.

I'll be honest, I download my books online for free... mostly public domain ones, but also newer ones.

I do read my Nook in the bathtub, I haven't had any problems thus far... but my hands aren't wet and I've never dropped it in, lol.

I did a lot of research before I got mine to make sure that it's what I really wanted. The Kindle and Kobo are both available here and supported here (Canada), but there were a few things I didn't like about them. With the Kobo it was the menu and the contrast in the screen - it didn't have enough gray scale for me. With the Kindle, I didn't like that I wouldn't be able to borrow library books with it - the format isn't supported by most libraries. I also didn't like that you have to put books you download for free via the internet through a program to transfer the file type to the one the kindle uses. It will quite often mess up the text in part of the book.

So I was down to the Nook or the Nook Color. I decided on the regular Nook because I couldn't really see myself using the features of the color all that often, and for an extra $100 it just wasn't worth it to me.

I love my Nook though, the screen contrast is great. It's easy to read, doesn't fatigue my eyes, it turns itself off after awhile and I can put books on it wirelessly (through wifi) or by plugging it in.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got my kindle from a kid on craigslist that got itfor a graduation present and didnt want it. its the 3g version so i can pick up internet almost amywhere along with the normal wifi. it takes notime to get books and our libraries support kindle! to me the kindle seemed a lot easier to read on esp. for long periods of time.
i use mine in the tub but i am just careful but if you are worried you cam get a waterpoof case on amazon for under $15. my mom got one to take to the beach for hers.
i also feel like i go through books much faster with my kindle than actual books. plus i can read multiple books at once or gary and i can both be reading different books and it keeps our spots. plus the fact i just took it on vacation rather than five books was super nice!
for me the color didnt matter much either. i have a smart phone and use it for most of my on the go browsing needs.
i love mine and wouldnt trade it for theworld!

typed all this on my kindle too lol. i have to say i am not a huge fan of the keyboard lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've got the Kindle 2, which has 3G, but no Wifi. I've downloaded books in a couple of countries directly from the Amazon store. It only takes a minute or two. When I want to download from other sites, I do it to my laptop and then transfer the books to the Kindle by USB. If they're not Kindle format or PDF, ones without DRM can be converted using Stanza or Calibre.

Kobo is supposedly coming to Germany in August or September, so I might look into the Android app. Library lending for the Kindle is supposedly in the works, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of excellent information, thank you guys.

So, basically if I got a Nook and don't have wi fi, I would have to go to the store (or someplace that has wi fi to download books), but I wouldn't have to pay for an extra subscription to something.

I wish I could afford an iPad

The main reason I was thinking Nook over Kindle is being able to download library books free. However, my friend has one and says if you don't finish the book in two weeks poof! Its gone! Not sure I could finish a book in two weeks since I don't have all that much time to read these days.

The other reason I thought it might be nice as opposed to paper books is that with the lighted screen I could read in bed in the dark.

Has anyone tried both Nook and Kindle? Feature wise, is there any advantage to one over the other?

I've never heard of Kobo.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've only tried the Kindle, but several magazines and websites have done comparisons.
Kindle vs. Nook vs. iPad: Which e-book reader should you buy?
The Nook vs. Kindle 3
Nook Simple Touch compared to Kindle 3
What eReader should I buy? NookColor vs. Kindle 3

The problem with a backlit screen like the iPad's is that it's barely legible outdoors, not to mention eye strain. I've got reader apps on my smartphone and find I can't read for hours like I can with the Kindle. I use a little reading lamp attached to it for reading in bed. You can get covers with built-in reading lamps, too.

If you don't have 3G or Wifi, you can still download to a computer and transfer the files to the e-reader. There's no subscription involved with the 3G, as that's covered by the price of the device.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You DO NOT want a backlit screen for reading books - it will strain your eyes in the dark. Instead, get a little reading light that just attaches to the top, it lights up the screen so that you can read but it's not overly bright so it won't bother your SO if you read it in bed. The nice thing about the screen not being backlit is that you can also read it in bright sunlight with no problems.

You DO NOT have to transfer books to the Nook through wifi. You can do it with the charging cable if you want to. It's incredibly easy, just drag and drop.

As for the library book thing, yes it's the same as borrowing one from the library. If you don't read it within the 2 week time period it will disappear, but you can always borrow it again to finish it. I'm not sure if it will keep your page when the book disappears, I don't think it will, but if you make note of where you were before the book disappears then you don't really have to worry about that.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, if I remember right, soon it'll be possible to borrow ebooks from the library for the Kindle....I'm very excited about that. I have the 3G Kindle and love it....I still read traditional books, but e-books are great as well.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just purchased the Nook color last weekend. I have wi-fi for my laptop, so it works fine with that. The hospital where I work has wi-fi also. I like the backlight for reading in the dark or low light situations. I like being able to surf the web on it. I've already downloaded and read three books. I was really hesitant...I love the feel of books in my hands. However, my basement is full to bursting with books. And let's face it...how many books do I really read more than once? Very few. So far, I am really enjoying it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

How much is it to download the books?
Normally you just pay the price of the book, and there's a very large selection of free books, like the classics or those by new authors, on an ever-growing number of sites.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More and more magazines are going to e-reader formats. When the ones I read regularly go over to it, I'll get a Nook color (or whatever is that quality at that time). I have stacks of magazines I'm always trying to get rid of.

I saved $10 on my annual Goodguys Hot Rod club membership by agreeing to get the monthly news magazine (200+ pages, in color, with lots of advertisements) online rather than in paper.

I suspect many magazines will go to the format, since postage is their biggest single cost.

Edit: I see that Car Craft is now available. When they get Street Rodder, Texas Highways, and Cat Fancy, it will be time to buy!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

You DO NOT want a backlit screen for reading books - it will strain your eyes in the dark. Instead, get a little reading light that just attaches to the top, it lights up the screen so that you can read but it's not overly bright so it won't bother your SO if you read it in bed. The nice thing about the screen not being backlit is that you can also read it in bright sunlight with no problems.
I have been reading some of the reviews that say a backlit screen is bad for the reasons you mention, but one of the things I thoiught would be cool about having a reader is that I could read in bed when DH is sleeping or watching tv with the light off. Really, though, I could use a book light on a regular book just as easily.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

And let's face it...how many books do I really read more than once? Very few. .
I actually re-read quite a bit. I started doing it when I got to where I couldn't afford to keep going out and buying new books, and its worked out pretty well. I'm currently re-reading Game of Thrones, and enjoying it just as much as the first 3 times I read it.