Nontoxic indoor cat deterrents that don’t bother dogs

Bsutton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just joined, and I have an issue I’m hoping someone here can solve. I’m going to provide a wealth of detail and information that may or may not be relevant.

I have a 1.5-year-old, fixed female cat. She was feral as a kitten for her first 6 weeks or so before I adopted her, and she’s still very shy around new or unfamiliar people (interestingly, she warms up to dogs and other cats pretty quickly). She’s the first cat I’ve ever personally adopted. She’s litter box trained and took to it pretty easily. She shares the house with two dogs (belonging to my roommate) with whom she gets along fine; she’s known them since she was a kitten, plays with them, and is otherwise very comfortable with them. She spends time in the living room and elsewhere in the house, but my room is her space; it’s where I feed her and where she sleeps at night, and I keep the door closed to keep the dogs out of my trash and her food. She has access to one litter box in my room and two in the living room, so no matter where she is, she has a place to go. Through my process of learning how best to care for her, there were some hiccups along the way where she’d urinate outside the litter boxes, but in most every case, I’ve figured out it was something I’d done wrong that led to the incident and adjusted accordingly.

Now, the problem: she recently picked up the habit of urinating in the dogs’ kennel — in particular, on the dogs’ nylon mat. She returns to the same spot every time, despite us treating the urine spots with a vinegar solution and spraying the mat down thoroughly.

In a previous situation when she kept urinating in a laundry hamper, I scolded her to no avail and eventually resorting to a “reset” — isolating her in my room for several weeks — which, combined with the scolding, an additional living room litter box, and some praise and treat reinforcement for using the litter box, seemed to break the habit.

But several weeks ago, she started this new habit. At first, I thought I’d just fallen behind on litter box maintenance, but having that straightened out didn’t help. A two-week reset seemed to go well, but she went right back to the mat three days later.

While a third roommate did recently move in — bringing a third dog and a cat, all largely confined to the new roommate’s room — the mat habit started before the move-in, so even if it’s exacerbated the issue, it couldn’t have been the initial cause.

Regardless, I’m trying to find a solution that doesn’t involve replacing or moving the dogs’ kennel and/or mat, as that would require an excessive amount of rearranging in the entire living room. I’ve looked into scent deterrents, but it seems that the vast majority of scents that would deter my cat — whether natural or specialized store-bought sprays — would also be undesirable to the dogs. The same goes for most any deterrent I’ve thought up or read about so far. Has anyone had a similar problem? How would y’all solve it?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urination issues in cats are almost always about territory.

Cats can be more territorial than dogs. While we often think of territorial marking like the way dogs pee on trees, cats do a similar thing only they don't life their leg. The thing is that a cat is less likely mark its territory if it feels that it is secure. If it feels threatened, it might suddenly start marking territory where it didn't before.

A clue that this is a territorial issue is that the cat marks the same place, over and over. Also, even after doing a "reset" the cat keeps doing it, even though you clean up the spot to remove the smell. It is very important to remove all traces of urine scent from the place where a cat has peed to mark territory because even a minute trace of smell will only serve to stimulate the cat to return to the same spot to "refresh her calling card."

(Hint: Use a dilute solution of chlorine bleach in hot water to clean hard, water resistant surfaces. A dilute solution of household ammonia might also work. For absorbent, cloth or upholstered surfaces, you can buy a special enzymatic cleaner at your pet supply store that will destroy all traces of cat urine scent.)

So... What is the territorial issue. I'll bet you dollars to donuts its the dogs.

You say that she's cool with dogs and she, very well, might be. What I am saying is that your cat needs to have a place to call her own without the dogs encroaching. Simply put, she just needs her own "space."

For instance, can you imagine a situation with your roommates where, even though you like them, they just keep barging in?
Wouldn't you feel like putting out a line of traffic cones and saying, "Dude, we're friends and all but just stay out of my space!"

Well, that's what I think your cat is doing only, instead of traffic cones, she's peeing on the floor.

I think it's pretty telling that she's peeing in the dog's kennel. She's practically putting up a flashing, neon sign that says, "Hey dog! You're invading my space!"

One solution to this is to make a place where the cat can have to herself but dogs can't go.

Maybe you could cordon off a room and keep the dogs out. For instance, if there was a room where you could put a cat flap in the door that the cat can fit through but dogs can't. They even make cat doors that use RFID tags on the collar (or your cat's implanted ID chip) to restrict access only to pets that have the correct tag.

In an apartment situation, that might not be feasible or it might be too expensive.

Another thing you can do is to make a "catio." An outdoor cat enclosure where cats can see the Great Outdoors but are safe behind an secure enclosure. Screening in an outdoor patio would work. Just make is so the dogs can't go there.

Probably the cheapest and easiest solution would be to provide vertical space for the cat to climb.

Most cats like vertical space. The like to climb up and survey their territory from on-high. They want to be "Master of All They Survey."

Give your cat shelves, table tops and window ledges that she can access. Provide one or more cat trees in strategic locations where she can see the room from a height. You might even put up shelves and walkways along the walls for the cat to climb up to.

Making space where the cat can go up high and look down on the dogs as "groundlings" would, likely go a long way toward resolving this issue.

Think: Lion King...
Think: Pride Rock...

"Look, Simba! Everything the light touches is our Kingdgom!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here. Normally, the first thing we suggest when a cat is peeing outside the litter box is having them checked at the vet to rule out a UTI. But since she can be "reset" that suggests it's not an UTI, however, if she's stressed, that can cause UTI's to occur. So if she hasn't been to the vet lately, it might be a good idea to make an appointment to ensure she's not suffering from a recurring UTI.

If it's not a UTI, then it is likely territorial spraying, as Caspers Human Caspers Human mentioned. The main thing you have to do is ensure the urine scent is totally removed from anywhere she pees, otherwise she's likely to continue going in the same place(s). And, of course, help her to feel more secure in her space.

TCS has several articles with tips that might be helpful. Here are the links:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home | TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens | TheCatSite

Oh, to answer the question in your thread title, cats generally don't like the smell of citrus fruits, but not sure if that would be enough to stop territorial peeing. Once thing to keep in mind, cat's don't understand discipline the ways dogs do. Here's a TCS article with more info on that, plus a couple more articles.

Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat | TheCatSite

Last edited: