Nonsuppurative Cholangiohepatitis

catladyloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Fuzzy was just diagnosed with Nonsuppurative Cholangiohepatitis. He is 14 years old, and this all started when he was vomited and not eating. He was jaundice and we took him to the vet. His ultrasound determined his bile duct was blocked by a stone and they removed his gallbladder, which was thick and diseased. This was 2 weeks ago. The vet also said his liver was damaged, and it was most likely caused by an immune problem.

We are feeding him by tube now, giving him Ursodiol and Denamarin, but he is eating and drinking a little on his own now.

I was wondering if anyone else has a baby with Nonsuppurative Cholangiohepatitis and what I should expect?

Also, what dietary changes did you make? What did you find helped suppress the problem?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a busy day, as many of our members have kids who will be trick-or-treating soon, but I wanted to let you know that I'm here and I care, although I cannot give you any information. Lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes:coming your way for both you AND Fuzzy!

I'm glad that you found us, although I HATE that it is an illness that brought you here. When things are calm for a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and Fuzzy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladyloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty was started on prednisolone when he had fatty liver and cholangiohepatitis. The steroids were to get previously undiagnosed IBD under control. An IBD flare was the root cause of his liver issues.
@denice My cat was just diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis. I'd appreciate any advice you might have. He's been on antibiotics, ursodiol, and denamarin, but will most likely start steroids soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about this. :alright:

I don't have much information for you, what I can tell you (all of which you may already know) is that, basically it's inflammation of the liver and bile ducts. This, together with hepatic lipidosis make up the majority of liver diseases in cats. There are a variety of supportive therapies, which it sounds like your vet has already started Fuzzy on, so that should help.

I hope things start looking better soon. :crossfingers:

Katiekat412

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don’t have much to add. I know I’m late. Prednisolone early is the only thing that made mine eat but the disease has been progressive. I’ve heard luejersn helps, but she she didn’t do well with side effects. Apparently that’s abnormal

Lmk if you found anything useful!

catladyloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Knock on wood, he's been doing well since having his gallbladder removed. All of his blood work has gotten back to normal and he's taking a daily Denamarin pill. He's definitely a fighter. He's also on a high protein food, Glycobalance. I've also been feeding him organic turkey baby food, which he loves. Thank the cat gods for giving me more time with my baby. We take it one day at a time and spoil him with cuddles and freeze-dried chicken treats daily!

catladyloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update on Fuzzy. He is now 16 and still going strong. He's since had treatment for hyperthyroidism, and now he has CKD. We are feeding him Royal Canin Senior Consult dry and Renal E wet and still giving him his Denamarin pill.