Nonstop ear scratching

nikonos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I bought my newly acquired Cali a breakaway collar to wear around the aprtment so I can keep track of her whereabouts with the little bell. The first day it was on she wouldn't stop scratching at the collar so I kept it off after she managed to break it open after 2 hours or so on I-don't-know-what. I noticed a 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch scab behind her right ear and her hair is missing around the scab where she has scratched at it. Today the scab has started to come off from her scratching and I am worried she is going to bleed all over the rugs. Is there anything I can put on the wound that will not drive her nuts whilst allowing the wound to heal?

puppycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet would have an ointment or something to put on the wound to help it heal. Some sort of topical solution might be best because the wound probably itches. Hence, her scratching. If something is coating the wound it may make her feel better and she will probably leave it alone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get kitty to the vet .. it could just be a scrap or it could be much more serious

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take her to the vet. It could be a wound, it could be ringworm, or she could have an underlying problem causing her to itch.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
It sounds as though Cali has quite the problem. Have you checked her ears to make sure that they are not infected or as someone else mentioned ringworm?? If all is clear and it is just due to her new collar than I suggest placing some Neosporin on it and make sure that her nails are trimmed as short as possible. If she will allow you to place the Soft Paws on them for a little while they may help too. I normally do not recommend Soft Paws, as a veterinary technician I think they are a waste of time and money, but in this case they may just help. I would check with your vet first to make sure that there is nothing serious going on, but in the meantime try the Neosporin to soothe the itch. Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikonos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her ears are clean with no signs of infection as I just had her to the vet last week immediately after I adopted here and he checked out the ears. I know what ringworm looks like and it is not ringworm. It looks like a little scrape that has formed a sca and half of the scab has peeled back and every time she scratches it pulls a litle more off. I trimmed back the tag end and put some triple antibiotic on it but she's still scartching at it. I didn't know if there was anything I would cover the wound with that she wouldn't be able to rip off.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you may want to talk to your vet about an e-collar so that she can't even get to the ears, but I think that sometimes having the collar on is more traumatic. but it might be worth a try!!