Nonstop biscuits and grinding

Theodaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 2 year old male cat from our local animal control shelter. I don't know his past at all. I've had him a little over a year but in these last 3 weeks he does non stop biscuit making with his eyes fixed on me, biting the blanket and his butt gyrates, he then lets out these distressed type meows and then comes up and softly bites my hand. I believe this is mating type behavior but it has become more and more excessive lately. He has had all of his vet check ups and a full dental cleaning. I don't know what to do or if there is even anything I can do.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound bad as there are plenty of people here who would LOVE if their cat made non-stop biscuits on them... but I can understand where you're coming from. I have one who can be somewhat relentless with rubbing her face on my face. When it becomes too much, I will gently push her away and redirect her elsewhere. It can sometimes take a few tries. When she does try to come back, I will block her from accessing my face. Her actions are for comfort, for self-soothing, and/or to feel good. Sometimes I have her go to my husband or even our other cat. She is learning that I don't accept her non-stop affections indefinitely. Perhaps you can get a really thick sherpa fleece blanket that's just for him and he can knead that? Most cats can't resist kneading a blanket with that high/thick pile fluff. Reminds them too much of mom's fur I think. Another thing - if you think it is mating behavior... If he was very recently neutered, he could still have some hormones in him.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I call "Happy Hips" is more common in neutered cats than I thought until joining here. It's perfectly normal. He's discovered that it feels good. Get him his own blanket or infant safe stuffed animal. When he starts the staring, shift him over. Since he likes your blanket it's a good excuse to get yourself a new one.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is perfectly normal. Let's face it, cats are, pretty much one and all, of the "If it feels good, do it!" persuasion. And he's found something that feels good. Give him an appropriate "target," as K Kris107 and @helenww suggest, and leave him to it. Once, he's transferred his affections to the target, life becomes much simpler. And it becomes easier to remove him and his new "girlfriend" from a public area if guests are over. Yes, been there and done that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theodaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may sound bad as there are plenty of people here who would LOVE if their cat made non-stop biscuits on them... but I can understand where you're coming from. I have one who can be somewhat relentless with rubbing her face on my face. When it becomes too much, I will gently push her away and redirect her elsewhere. It can sometimes take a few tries. When she does try to come back, I will block her from accessing my face. Her actions are for comfort, for self-soothing, and/or to feel good. Sometimes I have her go to my husband or even our other cat. She is learning that I don't accept her non-stop affections indefinitely. Perhaps you can get a really thick sherpa fleece blanket that's just for him and he can knead that? Most cats can't resist kneading a blanket with that high/thick pile fluff. Reminds them too much of mom's fur I think. Another thing - if you think it is mating behavior... If he was very recently neutered, he could still have some hormones in him.
He is perfectly normal. Let's face it, cats are, pretty much one and all, of the "If it feels good, do it!" persuasion. And he's found something that feels good. Give him an appropriate "target," as K Kris107 and @helenww suggest, and leave him to it. Once, he's transferred his affections to the target, life becomes much simpler. And it becomes easier to remove him and his new "girlfriend" from a public area if guests are over. Yes, been there and done that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The behaviour is called masturbation and it is perfectly normal, many animals do it. Quite simply it feels good.

There is no reason to discourage it unless he starts humping people or other animals.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I adopted a 2 year old male cat from our local animal control shelter. I don't know his past at all. I've had him a little over a year but in these last 3 weeks he does non stop biscuit making with his eyes fixed on me, biting the blanket and his butt gyrates, he then lets out these distressed type meows and then comes up and softly bites my hand. I believe this is mating type behavior but it has become more and more excessive lately. He has had all of his vet check ups and a full dental cleaning. I don't know what to do or if there is even anything I can do.

Is he neutered?

Theodaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have his paperwork from the shelter he was neutered as a kitten.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering may reduce the masturbation but not eliminate it. it is a very normal behaviour Kabuto did it when he was younger and he is neutered too. In fact, he still does it time to time at almost 17. It may be alarming to see at first but it is very normal.

Theodaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neutering may reduce the masturbation but not eliminate it. it is a very normal behaviour Kabuto did it when he was younger and he is neutered too. In fact, he still does it time to time at almost 17. It may be alarming to see at first but it is very normal.
Thank you all for writing back. It was just strange because after a year this has now started up and it is constant at night while we watch TV on the bed. It's definitely not just cute little biscuits lol.. it's kind of manic. This seems to be associated with me as he doesn't do this to my boyfriend and he has his eyes fixed on me the whole time when he does it and lets out weird meow sounds. His eyes even dilate while this is going on. He almost looks like a different cat. I don't know his past as he seems to have some sort of trauma previous. He was the most shy withdrawn cat at the shelter but I felt sorry for him and inclined to adopt him. He's not the most affectionate but he is cute. We've gotten over the random attacks, but now the non stop humping. There is a second girl cat I want to adopt she is a bit shy but adorable and so sweet but now I don't know if I should get her because he may start doing this to her all the time and that wouldn't be fair to her. I bought some Feliway spray and am waiting for it to be delivered so fingers crossed that it tones this down some. I wouldn't mind a little here and there but this is a lot!!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is Simon my humping machine
It was hard to choose between a laugh or a heart simply because of the comment lol.

On the topic at hand, my youngest boy does this(hes going to be 4 this year and has been neutered since he was a bit younger than 1), only specifically when I lay down on the couch to unwind at the very end of the day, or when I'm laying in bed getting ready for sleep. Only those two instances, as he knows I'm going to be laying there for a good while and likely realizes I'm getting ready for bed.

He'll start making biscuits at the very edge of my pillow, and if it goes on long enough, he'll start air humping. He doesn't physically hump it, but you can see him moving his butt slightly. Outside of that, he never does it anywhere else or to any of the other cats, it's only that one specific instance. Never say never, but it's probably unlikely that he'll do it to other cats as technically, why fix what isn't broken? He has his spot hahaha

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy Bentley did this once in a blue moon, on and off for his entire life. Very rarely on my shoulder :doh: but more often than not on his girlfriend, Bitsy. She never seemed to mind so I just let it happen lol. Both were fixed. He was especially prone to doing it after a vet visit or when he was in his shirt and/or cone (he had a recurrent belly overgrooming habit so he’d have to wear these sometimes). I feel like it was a way for him to claim his “masculinity” back and help his bruised ego LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: